Rab Noakes at Milngavie Folk Club review by Pauline Keightley
Noakes was among old friends and new on 20th February, 2016 at Milngavie Folk Club. Along with his own songs, he included some song gems in his repertoire – some were unexpected such as Cliff Richard’s sing along ‘Dynamite’; Dylan’s ‘Time Out of Mind’, outtake track ‘Mississippi’ and songs from his 70s radio hit, ‘Branch’.
The audience enjoyed his friendly banter with his chat about Nashville, Lindisfarne, Hank Williams, Joe Strummer, Kathleen McInnes, Monroeville and Alabama.. ‘Where it is easier to get in with a rifle than a guitar!’
Noakes gets to the heart of songs in a natural unaffected way. He is a massive Dylan fan and this came over in his interpretations and mood of the songs. It was good to hear him sing ‘The Twa Corbies’ his Michael Marra song and his other cover song choices.
‘Out of Sight’, ‘It Happened All The Same’, ‘I’m Walkin Here’, ‘Branch’, ‘Goodbye Blues’, ‘Where Dead Voices Gather’,’ Your Clear White Light’, S’tanding Up’ (Blue Nile song), ‘Slipping Away’, R’oll on Saturday’, ‘Highway 61′,’ Hard Cash’, ‘The Guernsey Kitchen Porter’ (Michael Marra song), ‘The Twa Corbies’, ‘Mindful’, ‘By the Day’, ‘Dynamite’ (Cliff Richards’ song), ‘Don’t Say Money Doesn’t Matter’ and ‘Mississippi’ (Bob Dylan song)
I’m a fan of Rab’s older songs …but his new material steps things up several notches and there are many classics among his newer songs. His song evolution is interesting and his song writing has evolved with more subtle undertones and story-filled lyrics. From his Americana and rock n’ roll country blues, to his east coast Fife influences – they are all here.
I strongly recommend the new album for the song quality and the standard of the live one take recording. Rab’s music challenges in a subtle way and his songs get under your skin with his guitar playing, vocal expression and his memorable songs.
Noakes’ NEW ALBUM ‘I’m Walkin Here’ is based on the Dustin Hoffman film Midnight Cowboy when Hoffman says to a taxi driver, “I’m Walkin Here” – and has collaborations with Barbara Dickson, Roddy Hart, Jill Jackson, Jimmie Macgregor, Alice Marra, Emma Pollock, and more. This is a 2 CD – one with new material and the other with older songs.
Noakes was well supported by guitarist and songwriter Rowan Ross.
Noakes is a Scottish singer songwriter who played with Stealers Wheel with Gerry Rafferty and also with Lindisfarne.
Photos & Review Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Gina Chavez, The Doublet, Sounds in the Suburbs
- Craft Cafe Summer Ball at Pearce Institute
- Songbird – Ellyn Oliver Sings Eva Cassidy, West End Festival 2018
- Lazy Saturday Afternoon, Friends of the River Kelvin at West End Festival
- All Dayer OranMor, West End Festival 2018
- Luca Manning, The Blue Arrow
- Take A Walk On The Weill Side, West End Festival 2018
- Scottish Fiddle Orchestra in Concert, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall September, 2018
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- PCL presents Jerron ‘Blind Boy’ Paxton, CCA
- Fiesta x Fold Festival, Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow 2018
- The Luthiers Concert, West End Festival
- Heidi Talbot and John McCusker at Cottiers
- Kittlin at Tchai Ovna
- The Electrics, 30 Anniversary, The Bungalow, Paisley
- The Great May Day Cabaret, Night for Chris Bartter, OranMor
- Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham, Cottiers Theatre, Glasgow
- Tir na nOg, Cottiers Theatre
- The Carlton 3 at Tchai Ovna House of Tea, Glasgow