Poet Alan Riach, Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow Chapel, 6 November, 2017
Monday 6 November
1 – 2 PM
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Free & Open to the Public
Alan Riach is a Scottish poet and academic. From 1986 to 2000, he worked in New Zealand at the University of Waikato, where he held the post of Associate Professor of English and Pro-Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
He specialised in 20th Century literature, teaching Scottish, Irish, American and Post-Colonial Literatures and Modern Poetry.
In 2001 he returned to Scotland and took up the post of Reader in Scottish Literature at the University of Glasgow. He has contributed to many collections and written other books, including the monograph, Hugh Macdiarmid’s Epic Poetry, which was based on his PhD dissertation and was published in 1991 by Edinburgh University Press. He is also the General Editor of Carcanet’s multi-volume, The Complete MacDiarmid.
Since 2003, Alan Riach has held a Professorship in Scottish Literature. His most recent critical book is Representing Scotland in Literature, Popular Culture and Iconography: The Masks of the Modern Nation(Palgrave Macmillan, 2005) and he has contributed poems and essays to numerous recent volumes, including Scotlands: Poets and the Nation (Carcanet, 2004), 121 New Zealand Poets (Godwit Press, 2005), Spirits of the Age: Scottish Self-Portraits (Saltire Society, 2005), The Wallace Muse (2005) and The Edinburgh Book of Twentieth-Century Scottish Poetry (Edinburgh University Press, 2005).
Books by featured authors will be for sale in John Smiths bookshop.
- CineRoma at Govanhill International Festival
- Glasgow Literary Lounge featuring Louise Malone on art plus Open Mic
- Only You GFT
- Dark Vanilla Jungle Websters
- Scarred GFT
- The Brink GFT
- Eureka GFT
- Pavarotti plus satellite Q & A GFT
- Blinded by the Light at Glasgow Film Theatre
- In Conversation with Gurinder Chadha GFT
- Armstrong GFT
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Farzane Zamen in Concert
- Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese GFT
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Of Fish and Foe GFT
- Special Events at Glasgow Film Theatre July 2019
- African Film Touring Programme Summer 2019
- Midsommar GFT
- Young at Heart Dance for Over 50s