A Play, A Pie and A Pint: Frances and Ethel, 20 – 25 June, 2016
Mini Musicals Season: FRANCES & ETHEL
OranMor, Top of Byres Road, G12
Mon, 20 June, 2016 — Sat, 25 June, 2016
By David Cosgrove | Directed By Mary McCluskey
Starring John Kielty, Alison Peebles and Frances Thorburn
After the success of the show earlier in the year, we are delighted to be bringing back Frances & Ethel as part of our new Mini Musicals Season.
“Ethel was no good for anything except to create chaos and fear.” – Judy Garland about her mother.
April 1961, a little rehearsal room in Manhattan, and Judy Garland is a day away from playing what will become the legendary Carnegie Hall concerts. Struggling under the crushing weight of expectation, not fully recovered from illness, she calls on her old friend Sal to keep her company, calm her nerves. Of course, Ethel shows up too – being dead is just a detail.
Mothers and daughters, it’s never easy.
‘Glimpses of tinsel-town tyranny, the post-war black-listing of suspected Commies and snippets of gossip – you get all this and Thorburn, singing her heart out and melting ours.’ ***** The Herald
‘… a vivid, memorable show, perfectly poised at one of the key turning-points of a great 20th century life.’
**** The Scotsman
Monday – Saturday 1pm
(Doors 12pm/12.30pm on Mondays)
Ticket price includes a drink (beer, wine or soft drink) plus a pie or vegetarian quiche.
08444 771 000
Ticket can be purchased at the OranMor Box Office on the day.
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, West End Festival 2016, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- Film Listings at GFT, March 2018
- Roteract Fancy a Cup of Tea with a Refugee, QMU, University of Glasgow
- Sweet Country, Cineworld Glasgow
- The Breadwinner, GFT
- Working Girl, GFF 2018
- The Ballad of Lefty Brown, GFT
- 45s for 45 All Day Fundraiser, Old Toll Bar, Glasgow
- Boutique Health and Fitness Festival, Glasgow
- Stars for Starchild, Fundraiser 3 March, 2018
- Help the Homeless Glasgow ‘I am not lost’, 25 February, 2018
- Thank Funk it’s Friday, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Sextival: Queer Relationships on Film, CCA
- CULTURE MINISTERS WELCOME IRISH MUSICIANS TO SCOTLAND GB18
- Summer Nights at Kelvingrove Bandstand 2018
- Whyte and Mackay, Glasgow International Comedy Festival 2018
- Celtic Connections 25th Anniversary Opening Concert, review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
- Soul Bowl, Jordanhill Bowling Club, 27 January, 2018
- Save £4 Ticket Offer- The Creative Craft Show and The Scottish Quilting Show
- Artists Network Lunch, Woodland Community
- Glasgow Kilo Vintage Sale, The Briggait, Glasgow 4 February, 2018