Picture Hooks Conference, Illustrating Children’s Books, 23 April,2016 CCA
Picture Hooks Conference
Sat 23 April 2016
10am - 4pm, £50 (£25 concessions) + £1 booking fee, Theatre
Book online / 0141 352 4900
Get the hang of illustrating Children's Books. Leading children's publishing experts and agents, together with award-winning illustrator Joel Stewart, offer insiders' view of the industry.
Now in its third year, the Picture Hooks Conference gives illustrators the opportunity to hear from leading experts from the world of children's publishing. Speakers include Andrea MacDonald, Executive Editor for Picture Books from Penguin Random House, and Tessa Strickland, co-founder and Editor-in-Chief at Barefoot Books. How do publishers select their illustrators? How should you present your portfolio? They will also explain how a picture book is planned and designed, and look at the importance of co-editions. Other highlights include a session from Joel Stewart, award winning author and illustrator of over 20 books, including the internationally known Dexter Bexley, and creator/director of over 50 episodes of The Adventures of Abney and Teal. Nicki Field, head of illustration from the Jelly Agency, a unique cross-content production company, will share her experiences on the many other opportunities for illustrators to sell and license their work. The conference will be chaired by author Vivian French MBE, writer of picture book texts, novels, plays and non-fiction for children and young adults, and literary agent, Lucy Juckes from Jenny Brown Associates. Details will be revealed of the next Picture Hooks mentoring scheme. Lunch and refreshments available from Saramago Café Bar, and a wide variety of picture books will be on sale throughout the day.
The scheme is funded by Creative Scotland.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017
- ProjectAbility Pop Up Shop orignal arts and crafts, Nov/Dec, 2017
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Exhibition in Napier Hall, 20 – 22 October, 2017
- Easing into Autumn With ‘Seven of Seven’, Thistle Gallery from 19 October, 2017 until end of the month.
- Scotland’s Own Coinage, The Hunterian, From 3 October 2017
- Glasgow Society of Women Artists at the Lillie Gallery, 7th October – 2nd November 2017
- A Synchronology: the contemporary and other times, Hunterian Art Gallery, 27 October 2017 – 28 January 2018
- Mackintosh Club, Helensburgh, Mackintosh Festival 2017