Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – Book Launch CCA Wed 3 June 2015
Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – Book Launch
Wed 3 June 2015
7pm, Free, Clubroom
Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – a tale of geriatric radical pacifists in the Faslane area – is told with the author’s usual dry wit and subtle observation.
Douglas Low has reached the last slice of life. Recovering from a heart condition, he retires to a cottage on Holy Loch, his hope that this final bite might be a sweet one. For Edith, his invalid wife, the only wish is that new shores might bring relief from bitter, chronic pain.
Douglas finds respite of his own in the form of Helen, his visiting lover. This new life, lived in the shadow of stationed American forces, finds a gentle, clandestine rhythm. But this is complicated by the arrival of his son, an unpredictable drifter who soon ruffles American feathers.
Gilmour’s distinctive voice follows his beautifully drawn characters as they face the unpredictability of fate, each one touched by the cruel creep of expiration. A timely novel, Spring Manoeuvres addresses the blurring lines between protection, occupation and invasion, and the choice between compromise and sacrifice.
See www.vagabondvoices.co.uk for more.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Walk in James Watt’s Footsteps
- An Evening with Gracey Flair at Helensburgh Library
- The Rebirth of the Clyde, Fairfield Heritage
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Free event: Scottish Writers Showcase, University of Glasgow
- Book Launch: Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Book Launch: A City of Segregation CCA
- Danger Poets, Waterstones Byres Road
- Women With Fierce Words CCA
- Books at the Botanics
- Launch Govanhill Book Festival 2019
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Paul Murdoch, Alexandria Writers + Open Mic
- Pinolino Puppet Show and Story Telling
- Free Pride CCA
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Bruce Biddolph Outstanding as ‘The Inquisitor’
- Edinburgh International Book Festival 2019
- Stories from the Southside – Govanhill Book Festival
- Obsession: Double Bill Safe/To Die For GFT