Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet the Author review by Calum Maclean
Pauline Lynch – Armadillos: Meet The Author
Waterstones Sauchiehall Street
Armadillos is Pauline Lynch’s debut novel, and it’s a fantastic read. It tells the story of Aggie, a fifteen year old runaway, escaping from her abusive family and encountering a variety of characters, some trustworthy, some not, and attempting to survive alone in the wide expanse of Texas.
At this meet the author event, Lynch read extracts from the novel in a very convincing Texas accent, no doubt helped by her training as an actor. The readings were engaging and well chosen, introducing new readers to characters and scenarios that compel you to read on without any huge spoilers.
After the readings there was a question and answer session that provided intriguing glimpses into the creative process, and the example of trusting your instincts in the novel’s origins as a simple writing exercise. The choice to set the story in an environment and voice wholly foreign to the author’s experience was also discussed, with another inspiring example for the audience of the freeing nature of writing from a wider perspective.
Armadillos was awarded the Sceptre Prize for Fiction and is available to buy now. I highly recommend it.
Calum Maclean – 15 July, 2016
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, Calum Gardner, SWG3 Poetry Club
- Spotlight on Cinemas – West End Festival 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Beyond Boundaries, Festival 2018, Call For Poems
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Launch of Autumn Voices 2018
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Marian Keyes at Aye Write, the Mitchell Library
- Autumn Voices Project – Poetry Competition 2018
- Autumn Voices Showcase 2018
- Creative Writing Fair, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library
- Aye Write: Wee Write One Button Benny with Alan Windram
- Ann-Marie MacDonald in conversation with Louise Welsh, University of Glasgow
- The Great May Day Cabaret, Night for Chris Bartter, OranMor