Open the Door 2018, Glasgow Women’s Library
Friday 18 May, 2018
Glasgow Women’s Library, Landressy Street, Glasgow G40 1BP
What is Open the Door?
Never before has Scotland’s literary scene been as energised and bold as it is today, and a large part of that is thanks to the brilliance of contemporary women writers. It seemed only right to celebrate this achievement of women writers with a festival of their own and so Open the Door was born.
In May 2017, Glasgow Women’s Library hosted the first Open the Door festival, a day-long event with authors including Val McDermid, Leila Aboulela and Mary Paulson Ellis. The format of the day invited some of the best to open the door to some of the newest practitioners of their art and the result was full of scintillating conversations and magical literary moments. From curiosity to world-building and film noir to the battle to get published, Open the Door 2017 emphasised the need to provide a platform for discussions around women writers and readers in Scotland
Open the Door 2018
We wanted our first literary festival to be unique; it broke down the barriers between writers and readers and generated poignant, important discussions. For 2018 we want to invite the world to Open the Door and so this year we’re hosting the festival online. We want the online world to be abuzz with conversations around what it is to be a woman writer and reader. We’ve gathered content from contemporary writers and readers and designed a programme of discussion points and questions for you to ponder. Get creative and get involved!
As well as hosting discussions around modern women’s writing, we’ll be shining the spotlight on 3 women writers from history.
Sandie Craigie (1963-2005)
Olive Fraser (1909-77)
Muriel Spark (1918-2006)
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- Linlithgow Folk Festival 2018
- #Beactive Festival, George Square, Glasgow
- Faifley Rocks, Cochno Stone Fun Day
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival, School of Rock, Blythswood Hall.
- The Claire Macdonald Game Cookbook, National Library of Scotland
- Scotland All Day Sacred Harp Singing 2018
- Social Bite – Sleep in the Park – Tackling Homelessness in Scotland
- Musicians in Exile, The Pearce Institute
- Martha L Healy, Album Launch, The Glad Cafe
- Hazy Recollections – Woody Pines , Yvonne Lyon , Al Shields, Glasgow Americana
- The Glad Cafe, 6th birthday celebration
- Glasgow Americana – Yola Carter & The Red Pine Timber Co, Cottiers
- John Waters’ Polyester – Launch of Scalarama Programme 2018
- Garden Party Weekend, Fundraiser, Glasgow
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Festival 2018, Berlin on Screen GFT
- Seven Song Club Weekender, Merchant City Festival
- GlasGLOW at the Botanic Gardens – Hallowe’en
- Yorkhill and Finnieston Gala 2018
- Publishing Scotland International Showcase, University of Glasgow Chapel