Nichol Wheatley’s art depicting the tale of Tam O’Shanter at OranMor
Yesterday, 14 January, 2019, Nichol Wheatley‘s ten wonderful bespoke canvases depicting the tale of Burns’ Tam O’Shanter were on display at Òran Mór in Glasgow’s West End. The paintings will hang in the Victorian and Whisky Bar and will migrate back to the Auditorium each year when Burns events are celebrated.
Nichol worked closely with Alasdair Gray when the ceiling mural in the Auditorium was created and the wonderful room looked even more beautiful with the addition of his ten vibrant paintings.
The artist spent nearly two years creating these magnificent paintings to coincide with Rabbie Burns’ 260th Birthday.
A large crowd attended the unveiling of the new art and everyone was suitably impressed with much discussion regarding which was their favourite painting. Many well kent West Endenders and Òran Mór regulars came along including Craig Munro, Freddie and Michael Dale (Director of West End Festival), the playwright Peter McDougall, Michaela Foster Marsh and Rony Bridges (Starchild), Madeleine and writer Bernard Maclaverty, actor Libby McArthur, others too many to mention and, of course, Mr Colin Beattie himself.
We shared a table with Gordon and Lawrie, who recently moved to Glasgow from Edinburgh, and are loving life in the West End.
Moira Kerr, Scottish singer/songwriter provided the entertainment with some Burns’ airs.
“But pleasures are like poppies spread, you seize the flower, it’s bloom is shed; or, like the snow-fall in the river, a moment white, then melts forever.” Rabbie Burns
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Glasgow Then and Now at The Mitchell Library
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Glasgow School of Art Graduate Degree Show 2019
- Trees v Capitalism by Maggie Kelly at Woodland Community Workspace
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Young Talent, ProjectAbility
- Living in the Magic Garden, Cafe Gandolfi, Merchant City Glasgow
- Freed Spirit : The Paintings of Maria Spadoni (1928 – 2014) RGI
- Series of Creative Writing Masterclasses
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase