Nichol Wheatley’s art depicting the tale of Tam O’Shanter at OranMor
Yesterday, 14 January, 2019, Nichol Wheatley‘s ten wonderful bespoke canvases depicting the tale of Burns’ Tam O’Shanter were on display at Òran Mór in Glasgow’s West End. The paintings will hang in the Victorian and Whisky Bar and will migrate back to the Auditorium each year when Burns events are celebrated.
Nichol worked closely with Alasdair Gray when the ceiling mural in the Auditorium was created and the wonderful room looked even more beautiful with the addition of his ten vibrant paintings.
The artist spent nearly two years creating these magnificent paintings to coincide with Rabbie Burns’ 260th Birthday.
A large crowd attended the unveiling of the new art and everyone was suitably impressed with much discussion regarding which was their favourite painting. Many well kent West Endenders and Òran Mór regulars came along including Craig Munro, Freddie and Michael Dale (Director of West End Festival), the playwright Peter McDougall, Michaela Foster Marsh and Rony Bridges (Starchild), Madeleine and writer Bernard Maclaverty, actor Libby McArthur, others too many to mention and, of course, Mr Colin Beattie himself.
We shared a table with Gordon and Lawrie, who recently moved to Glasgow from Edinburgh, and are loving life in the West End.
Moira Kerr, Scottish singer/songwriter provided the entertainment with some Burns’ airs.
“But pleasures are like poppies spread, you seize the flower, it’s bloom is shed; or, like the snow-fall in the river, a moment white, then melts forever.” Rabbie Burns
This section: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art - what's on
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Claiming Back the Narrative, Refugee Week Scotland 2019
- Summer Time, Summer Place Thistle Gallery
- Maker And Producer (sustainable textiles)
- DEGREE SHOW Glasgow School of Art 2019
- Glasgow School of Art Master of Fine Art Degree Show 2019
- Fashion Design Students Showcase Degree Show 2019
- Mackintosh Still Life Drawing
- Patrick McAlindon at The Glasgow Guild
- Rhona Mühlebach Loch Long Solo Exhibition GFT
- Thistle Gallery: Vibrant Show Celebrates The Coming of Spring
- Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair 2019
- Starchild Art for Africa with McTears Auctioneers and The Hidden Lane Gallery
- Earth Echo Affective Reflection Project Ability