Nichol Wheatley’s art depicting the tale of Tam O’Shanter at OranMor
Yesterday, 14 January, 2019, Nichol Wheatley‘s ten wonderful bespoke canvases depicting the tale of Burns’ Tam O’Shanter were on display at Òran Mór in Glasgow’s West End. The paintings will hang in the Victorian and Whisky Bar and will migrate back to the Auditorium each year when Burns events are celebrated.
Nichol worked closely with Alasdair Gray when the ceiling mural in the Auditorium was created and the wonderful room looked even more beautiful with the addition of his ten vibrant paintings.
The artist spent nearly two years creating these magnificent paintings to coincide with Rabbie Burns’ 260th Birthday.
A large crowd attended the unveiling of the new art and everyone was suitably impressed with much discussion regarding which was their favourite painting. Many well kent West Endenders and Òran Mór regulars came along including Craig Munro, Freddie and Michael Dale (Director of West End Festival), the playwright Peter McDougall, Michaela Foster Marsh and Rony Bridges (Starchild), Madeleine and writer Bernard Maclaverty, actor Libby McArthur, others too many to mention and, of course, Mr Colin Beattie himself.
We shared a table with Gordon and Lawrie, who recently moved to Glasgow from Edinburgh, and are loving life in the West End.
Moira Kerr, Scottish singer/songwriter provided the entertainment with some Burns’ airs.
“But pleasures are like poppies spread, you seize the flower, it’s bloom is shed; or, like the snow-fall in the river, a moment white, then melts forever.” Rabbie Burns
This section: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art - what's on
- Poetry at Inn Deep
- Nelson Mandela The Centenary Exhibition The Lighthouse
- Katherine MacBride – Having Been Breathed Out / Patriarchy Over and Out
- The German Revolution at the Hunterian Art Gallery
- Starchild Art for Africa with McTears Auctioneers and The Hidden Lane Gallery
- Creative Pathways Designed by Disruption, Impact Arts
- Leonardo 500 Day, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Celebrate Burns – Night at the Museum, the Hunterian
- Burns for Bairns OranMor
- Perceptive Journey Exhibition: Rosemary Beaton, June Carey and Damian Henry
- Nichol Wheatley’s art depicting the tale of Tam O’Shanter at OranMor
- The Enduring Appeal of Mary Queen of Scots – University of Glasgow Research
- My Life In London, ProjectAbility
- A Wee Exhibition, Photography, Old Hairdressers
- New Year Heralds In Fresh Brush Strokes, Thistle Gallery
- Cafe Gandolfi, Festive Art Exhibition
- ‘Unwrapped’ Show at The Thistle Gallery 2018
- M Gallery, Winter Exhibition Launch
- Art Auction Fundraiser – Cure Claire’s Cancer
- A Weakness for Raisins Ester Krumbachová exhibition CCA