New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Walk in James Watt’s Footsteps
- An Evening with Gracey Flair at Helensburgh Library
- The Rebirth of the Clyde, Fairfield Heritage
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Free event: Scottish Writers Showcase, University of Glasgow
- Book Launch: Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Book Launch: A City of Segregation CCA
- Danger Poets, Waterstones Byres Road
- Women With Fierce Words CCA
- Books at the Botanics
- Launch Govanhill Book Festival 2019
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Paul Murdoch, Alexandria Writers + Open Mic
- Pinolino Puppet Show and Story Telling
- Free Pride CCA
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Bruce Biddolph Outstanding as ‘The Inquisitor’
- Edinburgh International Book Festival 2019
- Stories from the Southside – Govanhill Book Festival
- Obsession: Double Bill Safe/To Die For GFT