New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Glasgow Botanic Gardens: 200 Years at West End Festival 2019
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Dear Dinosaur: T Rex on Tour
- Scottish PEN’s Writers in Exile
- Get Your Scots Wirds Oot and Caa Awa!
- Dan Richards Booked! Festival 2019 review Mary Irvine
- Julia Donaldson – The Gruffalo and other stories at West End Festival
- Mary Irvine review: Polly Clarke – the tiger lady! Booked! Festival
- Taking Tea with a Trailblazer, NLS Kelvin Hall
- Samina Chaudry at Avant Garde
- Kerry Hudson’s Lowborn Tour, The Mitchell review Pat Byrne
- Seeds of Thought – Creative Writing
- Richard Holloway ‘Waiting for the Last Bus’ review Mary Irvine
- Look Who’s Talking Now with Des Dillon
- Helen Fitzgerald and Doug Johnstone at Waterstones Sauchiehall St
- Book Launch: ‘this exquisite corpse’ Tawnya Renelle
- Dialogue: Niven Govinden and Season Butler
- Robin Lloyd-Jones ‘A life in books’ Helensburgh Library
- Aye Write presents Paul Mason