New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- Camilla Grudova, QMU, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Archie Macpherson, Adventures in the Golden Age
- Radical Film Network 6818 Launch, Glasgow
- Cross-feed Night School with Dr David Luke
- ‘Growing and Dying’ a tribute to the writer Janet Paisley edited by Linda Jackson
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- Stuart Murdoch, Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- A Fiction Reading. with Sheila Llewellyn and Andrew Meehan, Crossways Festival review by Pat Byrne
- Glasgow Zine Fest SQIFF Presents: Live in DIY Queer Filmmaking Conversation! CCA
- Mandarin Translations – The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
- Fail Better at McCHuills, April 12th, 2018
- David Mach ‘Against the Tide’ Cass Art, Glasgow
- Tom Russell, Tales From Inside The World of Rock, Bishopton Library
- Glasgow Museums and Libraries, Civilisations Festival 2018
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Short Films for Creatives, with Lesley Traynor, CCA
- Crossways Irish/Scottish Festival Fiction Reading & Poetry at The Tron
- Scottish Shorts 2018 – submissions
- Jim and Pat’s Podcast: Glasgow West End – Jim talks to Ian Smith of Last Night From Glasgow
- Crossways: The Irish Scottish Cultural & Literary Festival, Glasgow Merchant City