New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- I Remember It Well Symposium, Paisley
- The Muse at St Louis – A Night of Justice
- Something Good Will Always Happen – Graham Fulton
- Claire McFall, Creative Conversations
- Cultural Diversity Showcase, The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Black History Month
- “Freedom Bound” – Slavery in Scotland Discussion at GOMA
- Motherhood Loss and Legacy, National Library of Scotland, Kelvin Hall
- Maya Chowdhry, Creative Conversations
- Thomas Muir Festival 2018
- Women’s Suffrage in Glasgow, An Afternoon of Talks
- MCSTAPE – Book Launch Stephen Watt and special guests
- Red Squirrel Press: Poets Read from New Publications
- Outside The Narrative: Stephanie Young and Tom Leonard
- Talks at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- National Poetry Day Slam
- Brian Whittingham: Walking Between Worlds
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- ‘thi wurd’ #3 at The Old Hairdressers, Glasgow
- Jane Harris Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
- The Scottish Witchfinder by Jacqueline Smith