New Season at The Star Folk Club starts 9 February, 2016
The Admiral Bar, Waterloo Street, Glasgow G2 7DA and start at 8.00pm.
9th February Tony Mcmanus £12
Tony McManus has come to be recognised throughout the world as the leading guitarist in Celtic Music. From early childhood his twin obsessions of traditional music and acoustic guitar have worked together to produce a startlingly original approach to this ancient art. In Tony’s hands the complex ornamentation normally associated with fiddles and pipes are accurately transferred to guitar in a way that preserves the integrity and emotional impact of the music.
16th February Dave Gibb £8
Left Handed, Balding, Middle aged, Songwriting Folky from Scotland’s Highest Village. A singer of songs and a teller of tales from the hills of Dumfries & Galloway who happily fingerpicks his way through life’s travails. Songs funny or sad, happy or grim, meaningful or meaningless played fast or slow (sometimes both at the same time)…….He likes a giggle.
23rd February Archie Fisher £9
Archie is a seminal figure in the Scottish folk revival and one of Scotland’s finest songwriters and performers. His interpretations of traditional songs, his own compositions and the material of his fellow contemporary songwriters are fully endorsed by those who know and care.
1st March Steve Dan Mills £9
American singer songwriter Steve Dan Mills was the co-founder of Speed Limit 35, one of the first folk rock bands in the American South. He has been enjoying a solo career since the mid 70’s and has performed at the Kerrville Folk Festival, London Folk Festival, Belfast Nashville Songwriter’s Festival and more. His music has been described as “the real thing, sensitive, moving, cathartic and healing.” He couples his very powerful vocals with acoustic guitar and harmonica. His masterful storytelling, based on his rich and challenging life experiences, lays the groundwork for each song in a most engaging manner. He elicits tears and laughter and instils hope in his audience. He has recently moved to London and has begun performing in folk clubs throughout the UK.
- 45s for 45 All Day Fundraiser, Old Toll Bar, Glasgow
- The Blue Arrow Club – New Home of Jazz in Glasgow
- The Shires, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
- Thank Funk it’s Friday, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Session A9 Celtic Connections 2018 review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
- Summer Nights at Kelvingrove Bandstand 2018
- Paul young with Los Pacaminos, The Venue, OranMor, Glasgow
- Celtic Connections 25th Anniversary Opening Concert, review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
- Seven Song Club The Wellgreen / Secret Goldfish / Cara Rose, The Tron
- Soul Bowl, Jordanhill Bowling Club, 27 January, 2018
- Lisa Kowalski at King Tut’s
- The Primevals, The Reverse Cowgirls and The Kundalini Genie, Seven Song Club
- Lola in Slacks + special guests, CCA
- Spangled Cabaret 10 BirthdayParty, Rio Pop Up
- The Skids and From The Jam Kelvingrove Bandstand 17 June, 2018
- Dona Oxford, OranMor, Glasgow 16 February, 2018
- Celtic Connections 2018 – Highlights from Scots Whay Hae!
- The Friction Burns Supper, Rio Pop Up, Glasgow
- New additions to Celtic Connections Programme 2018
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End