Nelson Mandela The Centenary Exhibition The Lighthouse
Until 2 March, 2019
This exhibition marks the 2018 centenary of iconic leader Nelson Mandela’s birth detailing his life, career, and commitment to equality and justice.
Gallery One, The Lighthouse
This exhibition explores the life and times of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela (1918-2013) and marks the centenary of his birth. It provides insight into Mandela’s journey from young freedom fighter to becoming the inspiration for an international movement against South Africa’s violent and oppressive apartheid system, and an emblem of an ongoing struggle to build a more just and equitable world.
Born and raised in a rural village, Mandela joined the African National Congress where he became a leading figure in the fight against apartheid. Enduring life on the run, several long political trials, and ultimately 27 years in prison, Mandela developed a deep wisdom and a distinct ability to connect with others. As he famously said of his and others’ struggle against apartheid: ‘I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it.’ It was not just his ideas, but also his magnanimous personality, resilience and charm that enabled Mandela to lead South Africa through a volatile transition. In 1994, he became the country’s first democratically elected president. He transformed the political landscape at home and around the world, becoming one of the most influential and iconic individuals of the 20th century.
Mandela’s vision remains timeless and inspiring in today’s troubled world.
The Lighthouse will show additions to the exhibition reflecting on Scotland and Glasgow’s links with Nelson Mandela.
This touring exhibition, previously on show at London’s Southbank Centre is presented by Apartheid Museum, Anti-Apartheid Movement Archives and ACTSA Scotland.
The Lighthouse, 11 Mitchell Lane, Glasgow, Scotland G1 3NU
This section: Art - what's on
Filed under: Art - what's on
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Claiming Back the Narrative, Refugee Week Scotland 2019
- Summer Time, Summer Place Thistle Gallery
- Maker And Producer (sustainable textiles)
- DEGREE SHOW Glasgow School of Art 2019
- Glasgow School of Art Master of Fine Art Degree Show 2019
- Fashion Design Students Showcase Degree Show 2019
- Mackintosh Still Life Drawing
- Patrick McAlindon at The Glasgow Guild
- Rhona Mühlebach Loch Long Solo Exhibition GFT
- Thistle Gallery: Vibrant Show Celebrates The Coming of Spring
- Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair 2019
- Starchild Art for Africa with McTears Auctioneers and The Hidden Lane Gallery
- Earth Echo Affective Reflection Project Ability