Nelson Mandela International Day Celebration, Glasgow 18 July
Nelson Mandela International Day Celebration
Glasgow – 18 July, 2014
The Lord Provost of Glasgow will announce the winning artist who will create a bust of Nelson Mandela for the City Chambers, followed by a ribbon-tying ceremony on the railings of St. George’s Tron Church in Nelson Mandela Place. Ribbons will be tied by the Deputy Lord Provost of Glasgow, the South African High Commissioner, Ministers in the South African and Scottish Governments and a member of the Mandela family.
A large screen in George Square, Glasgow will show footage of Mandela’s visit to the city in 1993. There will also be a free open air concert on Glasgow Concert Hall steps, followed by a civic reception and concert at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, headlined by Hugh Masekela. Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Midlothian and Renfrewshire libraries will be collecting books for the ACTSA Scotland/Community HEART book appeal for libraries in South Africa. In Edinburgh, the Jazz Festival opens with a concert to celebrate Mandela, with a performance by Abdullah Ibrahim.
Concert Featuring Hugh Masekela and special guests
Featuring Hugh Masekela, Complete, Adam Glasser and special guests
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG,G3 8AG
Presented as part of the South Africa Season in the UK and Festival 2014 in association with ACTSA Scotland
18 July was Nelson Mandela’s birthday and in 2009 it was declared “Nelson Mandela International Day” by the UN General Assembly in recognition of his contribution to the culture of peace and freedom.
On this first Mandela Day since his death, we celebrate Nelson Mandela with South African jazz legend, Hugh Masekela who will be joined by Complete, the fantastic new vocal sensation from Johannesburg who are playing their first-ever Scottish show, and award-winning Jazz harmonica and keyboard player Adam Glasser.
As a fan of Complete, Hugh Masekela has created a special new collaboration on three of their songs, especially for this Nelson Mandela International Day celebration. They will be joined by additional special guests from Scotland and South Africa.
- Alan Murphy – A Nod to John Martyn
- Kirklee Allotments Open Day West End Festival 2019
- The Glasgow Mela 2019
- Doc’n Roll presents: It Must Schwing! The Blue Note Story
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Rab Noakes, Websters 2
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- Beatson Cancer Charity Gin and Sing, Bohemian Rhapsody
- Summer Ball Fundraiser Craft Café Govan
- The Tennessee Hotshots at Websters Playhouse
- Big Choir Concert at Cottiers
- Carers’ Week 2019
- Wilton Street Garden Fete
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Da Capo Alba guitar and mandolin orchestra Cottiers