Nelson Mandela and the Robben Island Bible, The Mitchell Library
Nelson Mandela and the Robben Island Bible
Scotland and the Commonwealth Exhibition
The Mitchell Library
A unique opportunity to see The Robben Island Bible, a book of Shakespeare’s complete works, disguised as a religious text and smuggled into Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was a prisoner.
The book became one of the most treasured documents on the island and has been brought to Glasgow for this exhibition by Sonny Venkatrathnam, a South African political prisoner from 1972 to 1978. He asked fellow prisoners to choose their favourite passage from Shakespeare and sign their name alongside their chosen quote. The thirty-two signatures, includes those of Nelson Mandela, Walter Sisulu, Govan Mbeki, Ahmed Kathrada and Mac Maharaj, all luminaries in the struggle to establish a democratic South Africa.
The diary will be on display at The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow, from 19th July, 2014 for three months.
This section: Art - what's on
Filed under: Art - what's on
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017
- ProjectAbility Pop Up Shop orignal arts and crafts, Nov/Dec, 2017
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Exhibition in Napier Hall, 20 – 22 October, 2017
- Easing into Autumn With ‘Seven of Seven’, Thistle Gallery from 19 October, 2017 until end of the month.
- Scotland’s Own Coinage, The Hunterian, From 3 October 2017
- Glasgow Society of Women Artists at the Lillie Gallery, 7th October – 2nd November 2017
- A Synchronology: the contemporary and other times, Hunterian Art Gallery, 27 October 2017 – 28 January 2018
- Mackintosh Club, Helensburgh, Mackintosh Festival 2017
- Family Ties, Thistle Gallery, 30 September – 15 October, 2017