Neil Clements’ Electric Eye, The Hunterian – runs until 8 October, 2017
This exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery presents paintings and sculptures by Glasgow-based artist Neil Clements (b. 1982, Belfast). Neil Clements: Electric Eye continues The Hunterian’s innovative programme of contemporary art displays, and features new works made especially for this context.
Clements’ work often echoes the abstract formal strategies of modernist art. He has, for instance, produced monochromatic paintings, shaped canvases and geometric sculptures; he has sometimes made adapted versions of iconic works by modernist artists such as Anthony Caro and Frank Stella. Clements alludes to these forms not only to explore and question their currency today but also to introduce new cultural contexts for understanding them. These contexts range from industrial design – including the covert production of military hardware – to the subcultures of popular music. This exhibition extends the artist’s interest in these areas through an installation of works that simultaneously evoke the furnishings of the gallery spaces in which modernist paintings were exhibited in the 1960s, and refer to the cultural climate of the Cold War.
The Hunterian, University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow G12 8QQ (attached to Univerity Library)
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Sonnet Youth, The Drygate
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Everything in my Etsy shop is on sale: framed prints include classic views of the West End
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Poetry at Inn Deep, Tuesday 14 November, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017
- Easing into Autumn With ‘Seven of Seven’, Thistle Gallery from 19 October, 2017 until end of the month.
- Scotland’s Own Coinage, The Hunterian, From 3 October 2017
- A Synchronology: the contemporary and other times, Hunterian Art Gallery, 27 October 2017 – 28 January 2018
- Family Ties, Thistle Gallery, 30 September – 15 October, 2017
- Carol Dunbar, Gallery Owner: Local Character, Glasgow West End
- Glasgow Doors Open Days Glasgow School of Art, Restoring Mackintosh Building, 11 September 2017
- An Afternoon at Windows in the West, Avril Paton, Mackintosh Festival 2017, Queens Cross Church, 20 October, 2017
- ‘Tempest’ Stirs Up A Storm! Thistle Gallery, Park Road, 9 – 25 September, 2017