Naomi Mitchinson Lecture: “Writing and the Stranger” University of Glasgow 20 November, 2014
Naomi Mitchinson Lecture: “Writing and the Stranger”
Hosted by Scottish PEN
20 November, 2014 5.30 p.m.
John McIntyre Bldg, University of Glasgow, University Ave, Glasgow, Glasgow City G12 8QQ
The Naomi Mitchinson Memorial Lecture is hosted annually by Scottish PEN and the Edwin Morgan Centre for Creative Writing at the University of Glasgow. This year the lecture will be presented by award-winning author Zoe Wicomb. She is a South African author living in Glasgow and will read from her latest novel October.
In ‘Writing and the Stranger’ Wicomb will consider some of the ways in which foreignness is figured in writing as well as the strangeness inherent in the aesthetic experience. She will revisit her own views on setting fictions in a foreign country. The evening will be chaired by Louise Welsh. It’s a free event.
Drinks at 5:30 Lecture begins at 6pm. Free event:
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- ‘thi wurd’ #3 at The Old Hairdressers, Glasgow
- Jane Harris Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
- I Remember It Well Symposium, Paisley
- The Scottish Witchfinder by Jacqueline Smith
- John Maclean, Hero of Red Clydeside by Henry Bell
- Hollie McNish OranMor
- Three Kinds of Kissing by Helen Lamb Book Launch
- After He Died Book Launch, Michael J Malone
- Stuart Paterson, Write on Cue!
- An Evening with Nawal Slemiah, Project Cafe Glasgow
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Stuart Cosgrove, ‘Harlem 69’ Book Launch
- Richard Holloway, Creative Conversatons
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- All The Time We Thought We Had, Gordon Darroch Waterstones
- Cheeky Besoms Speakeasy and Open Mic Night Glasgow
- She’s En Scene Women’s Film Screening and Discussion, Glasgow
- With Their Best Clothes On, New Writing Scotland Launch