Music from the time and place of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Queens Cross Church 3 December, 2017
As we approach the 150th anniversary of the birth of one of Glasgow’s greatest creative minds, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, join the Toward Ensemble, under the baton of Paul MacAlindin, in Mackintosh’s wonderful Queen’s Cross Church in a celebration of the music of the time and place of the great architect.
The programme will include works by Mackintosh’s contemporaries Elgar, Nielsen and Grieg and Glasgow’s 21st century composers Rory Boyle, Eddie McGuire, Oliver Searle and Bill Sweeney.
Crowning the afternoon is the posthumous world premiere of John Maxwell Geddes’ “A Rose for Margaret” with a solo by his grandson, Ruaridh Geddes, on his eighteenth birthday playing a violin which has passed through five generations of the Geddes family.
The Toward Ensemble is a string orchestra founded by John Maxwell Geddes over twenty years ago. It is a blend of professional and amateur players who have a shared love of music and Castle Toward, once home to youth orchestras from across Scotland. This will be the first time the Ensemble will perform outside Castle Toward’s hallowed walls.
There will be seasonal refreshments and the opportunity to visit the shop to pick up unique gifts for Christmas.
All tickets are £10 and you can book your ticket at Eventbrite
Mackintosh Queens Cross Church, 870 Garscube Road, Maryhll, Glasgow G20 7EL
This section: Christmas in Glasgow, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide
- Glasgoes Poetic 2019
- Getting Ready For The Mod at Kelvin Hall
- Edwyn Collins QMU Glasgow
- Propaganda – Indie Club Night, QMU
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- G20 Festival GBX Fundraiser
- Matchbox Cineclub Weird Weekend at CCA Glasgow
- Starry Skies, Warren and Heather at Old Hairdressers
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Clydebuilt Festival Dragon Boat Race
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Walk in James Watt’s Footsteps
- East End Free Festival
- Tenements Today Tenements Tomorrow
- The Rebirth of the Clyde, Fairfield Heritage
- Broken Chanter Album Launch, CCA
- Bohemia Bespoke Vintage Wedding Fair
- Michael Simons at Partick Folk Club
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch