Music from the time and place of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Queens Cross Church 3 December, 2017
As we approach the 150th anniversary of the birth of one of Glasgow’s greatest creative minds, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, join the Toward Ensemble, under the baton of Paul MacAlindin, in Mackintosh’s wonderful Queen’s Cross Church in a celebration of the music of the time and place of the great architect.
The programme will include works by Mackintosh’s contemporaries Elgar, Nielsen and Grieg and Glasgow’s 21st century composers Rory Boyle, Eddie McGuire, Oliver Searle and Bill Sweeney.
Crowning the afternoon is the posthumous world premiere of John Maxwell Geddes’ “A Rose for Margaret” with a solo by his grandson, Ruaridh Geddes, on his eighteenth birthday playing a violin which has passed through five generations of the Geddes family.
The Toward Ensemble is a string orchestra founded by John Maxwell Geddes over twenty years ago. It is a blend of professional and amateur players who have a shared love of music and Castle Toward, once home to youth orchestras from across Scotland. This will be the first time the Ensemble will perform outside Castle Toward’s hallowed walls.
There will be seasonal refreshments and the opportunity to visit the shop to pick up unique gifts for Christmas.
All tickets are £10 and you can book your ticket at Eventbrite
Mackintosh Queens Cross Church, 870 Garscube Road, Maryhll, Glasgow G20 7EL
This section: Christmas in Glasgow, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide
- Spirito, Interiors, Cards, Gifts, Crow Road, Broomhill, Glasgow
- Ashton Lane Hogmanay Street Party 2017
- A Relaxed Performance of The Sleeping Beauty, Kings Theatre, Glasgow
- Book Fair at the Botanics 28 and 29 December, 2017
- The Muppet Christmas Carol Screening and Toy Collection for Shelter Scotland, OranMor
- Christmas at GFT, 3 – 23 December, 2017
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- Christmas Markets Glasgow City Centre – 9 November – 22 December, 2017
- The Glasgow Guild Christmas Department Store
- Called You Last Night From Glasgow, Club Night, Broadcast
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Glasgow Christmas Markets, Fairs and Shopping Events
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience, Avant Garde, Friday 22 December, 2017
- The Hidden Lane Late Night Shopping for Christmas
- Santa’s Magical Grotto at Lomond Shores until 24 December, 2017
- Mother India Christmas Menu
- Mistletoe and Mystery Evening , Partick Burgh Hall
- Merchant Square Christmas Craft Fair
- Christmas Drive In Movies, The Riverside Museum