Muriel’s Wedding, CCA, 10 March, 2017 – Clydebank Women’s Aid, Glasgow Women’s Aid & Southside Film
Women Only Event to Celebrate International Women’s Day
Clydebank Women’s Aid, Glasgow Women’s Aid & Southside Film presents
MURIEL’S WEDDING (Cert: 12, 105 mins, 1994)
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Socially awkward Muriel Heslop (Toni Collette) wants nothing more than to get married. Unfortunately, due to her oppressive politician father (Bill Hunter), Muriel has never even been on a date. Ostracised by her friends in small town Australia, Muriel runs into fellow outcast Rhonda Epinstalk (Rachel Griffiths) and they decide to move to Sydney. In the big city, Muriel changes her name and begins to re-design her life to match her fantasies.
Nominated for Best Screenplay BAFTA and Best Performance Golden Globe for Toni Colette when it was first released in 1994, MURIEL’S WEDDING is a tragicomic classic that is about more than just weddings and ABBA songs. You may remember the as hilariously funny and it is, but this film will also make you cry with its realistic portrayal of domestic and emotional abuse in Muriel’s family and of women’s lives and friendships.
Watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/
Preceded by a short film about Women’s Aid GETTING OVER THE FEAR made in 1986 by Scottish Women’s Aid and followed by a Q&A about the depiction of domestic abuse in MURIEL’S WEDDING.
Please note: This is a Women Only event to mark International Women’s Day and is open to all all women. This event is a fundraiser for Clydebank Women’s Aid and Glasgow Women’s Aid.
Friday 10 March
8pm (doors 7.30pm)
£8 full price
Tickets are available to book online in advance- buy tickets here: http://
A limited amount of tickets will also be available to buy on the door, cash sales only.
If you can’t make the screening and would still like to donate to Women’s Aid then you can donate to Clydbank Women’s Aid film crowdfunding campaign to allow them to update a film about the impact of domestic abuse from 1986. Donate here: https://mydonate.bt.com/
The CCA is fully wheelchair accessible but if you have any other accessible needs then get in touch in advance on email@example.com
This section: Cinema, International Womens Day 2017, Southside Film Festival
- Britain on Film: Welcome to Britain plus Q & A GFT
- Memoir of War GFT
- Anna Magnani: Made in Rome GFT
- The Cure Live at Hydepark – Anniversary 1978 – 2018
- Outdoor Art Film, Eglantine, North Kelvin Meadow Glasgow
- Love Me or Leave Me, GFT
- Doc’n Roll presents: It Must Schwing! The Blue Note Story
- The Captor, GFT
- Robert the Bruce, GFT
- Diego Maradona GFT
- NT Live: Small Island, GFT
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Scalarama Press/Marketing and Design
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival
- The Italian Job GFT
- Class of 1984 | Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Sleepless in Seattle, GFT