Mike Hasting (Trembling Bells) + Alan Frew & Jim Byrne Big Sparra Vinyl, 3 April, 2016
MIKE HASTINGS (Trembling Bells) + Alan Frew + Jim Byrne
Big Sparra Vinyl 7 New Bridge Street, Ayr KA7 1JX
Sunday 3 April, 2016 at 2 p.m.
We are thrilled to announce our next in-store on Sunday 3rd April, features the exquisite talent of Mike Hastings (of Trembling Bells) with support from Alan Frew and Jim Byrne.
FREE! From 2pm
Mike Hastings is a guitarist and song writer based in Glasgow. He currently plays with critically acclaimed Trembling Bells, who’s 2015’s release ‘The Sovereign Self’ was chosen as Album of the Year by Stuart Maconie on BBC Radio 6: “I love this band. I love them because they are so wild, British and exciting and merge so many forms of music into one in a way that is not exclusive at all, full of personality. If you want to start anywhere with this band this is a good place to start.”
Mike has collaborated previously with Lavinia Blackwall in their acid folk band The Pendulums and also plays with Norwegian violinist Solveig Askvik under the name Mike and Solveig. Their debut album ‘Here comes Today’ was released on the last day of 2015 and is available to buy in Big Sparra. Mike has also played and recorded with Mike Heron of the Incredible String Band and Peter Daltrey of Kaleidoscope (UK).
Support – Alan Frew and Jim Byrne
Alan Frew is a contemporary folk/pop artist from Troon, Ayrshire in the west coast of Scotland. Citing his late father, as well as the music of John Martyn, Will Oldham and Nick Drake as his main influences. Alan has shared stages with many of Scotland’s top acts including Paolo Nutini, Jack Bruce, Texas and the Proclaimers. He is currently working on a new album set for release in summer 2016.
Jim Byrne is a singer and songwriter from Glasgow influenced by americana, folk, country and blues music (with pop and punk thrown in for good measure). Acoustic, bluesy Scottish contemporary folk and alternative country style songs of love, heartbreak and the Scottish weather
“..full of cinematic turns of phrase, dressed up in alluring melodies delivered by some of the most respected players on the modern-day Celtic Folk scene.” UNCUT
We are pleased to announce that The Artisan Lounge, round the corner from Big Sparra Vinyl, will be especially open for Big Sparra customers between 12 and 2pm, to replenish before the show with delicious and wholesome food and drinks. They also cater for vegan and gluten-free diets and have a lovely outdoor patio overlooking the river. www.facebook.com/TheArtisanLoungeAyr
- Nathan Bell and Lynnie Carson, Glasgow Americana
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Gavin Paterson Nova Scotia Folk Club
- The Wellgreen, Stilton, KiDD, West of Scotland Cricket Club
- David Rovics at the Doublet Bar
- Spangled Cabaret October 2018
- Starry Skies Album Launch, OranMor
- Fail Better Open Mic, Villiers & Co
- Jim Byrne, The Basement Jam, Tennent’s Bar, Glasgow
- Fara, OranMor, Glasgow
- Brooks Williams Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Seven Song Club, LOOPER and Wholly…..Cats
- Linda Jaxson Band at St Louis Cafe/Bar, Glasgow
- Songs of the Silver Screen, OranMor
- Yvonne Lyon and Eilidh Patterson, The Glad Cafe
- Ethan Johns, Love Music Glasgow
- Women at Carlton Studios, Glasgow, Monthly Event
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, 24 August, 2018
- Word Jazzology, Glasgow 30 August 2018
- Musicians in Exile, The Pearce Institute