Merlin James Long Game, Until 20 March, 2016. CCA
Tue-Sat: 11am-6pm // Sun: 12noon-6pm // Free
0141 352 4900
Until Sunday 20 March, 2016.
The first large scale Glasgow exhibition from painter Merlin James opens CCA’s 2016 gallery programme and includes work from the 1980s to the present day.
Continuity and duration are active elements in the artist’s process: often he reworks paintings over long periods, making it impossible to pin them down to one year or one stage of his practice. In his exhibitions, as in the studio, newer paintings echo, develop or diverge from earlier ones in a strikingly diverse body of work. James’ intensively worked canvases encompass a wide variety of subject matter including empty interiors, rural landscapes, architecture and scenes of sexual intimacy. He further extends temporal reach by referencing genres and antitypes from across art history. As well as a painter he is known for his extensive critical writing on art.
James’ concern with the history of his medium is not, however, a conceptually detached one, and the material qualities and problems of painting-as-object remain paramount. As part of this, James often constructs highly individual integral picture frames for his works. In recent years he has also begun to incorporate objects into the paintings themselves – often small model buildings made with offcuts from the framing process. Some of these studio ‘by-products’ (as the artist refers to them) will be included in Long Game.
Further details, including accompanying events, will be announced soon.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Liquid Light by Vic Rodrick, First Solo Exhibition, Veneer, Glasgow
- A Day Out, The Lighthouse
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- Cross-feed Night School with Dr David Luke
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School