Mayfesto, Tron Theatre, Glasgow, 9 – 31 May, 2017
The Tron, 63 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5HB
9-31 MAY 2017
Now very firmly fixed in the cultural calendar, Mayfesto is amini-festival of edgy and provocative new work – and this year’s theme is music..
Tron Creative is a strand of work that supports and nurtures emergent artists through a series of initiatives and the first Mayfesto show, Daphne Oram’s Wonderful World of Sound by Blood of the Young was developed as part of this strand. A journey through the amazing life of one of the great, unsung composers of the twentieth century, writers Paul Brotherston and Isobel McArthur bring you Daphne Oram’s incredible story.
Ramesh Meyyappan’s new comedic and highly physical piece of theatre, Off Kilter is as part of an international collaboration that sees the show premiere in Singapore; and to include in the programme the world premiere of Tromolo Production’s Music is Torture, a jet-black comedy featuring live music and new songs from A Band Called Quinn.
Horse McDonald’s Careful was a huge Fringe hit: the ‘candid, fearless’ story of how music saw her through some of the most difficult times in her life will be at The Tron for two nights only, as part of an extensive tour of the production.
Glasgow Glam Rock Dialogues in the Vic Bar, where pressing political and aesthetic concerns will be channelled through the spirits of Marc Bolan and Suzi Quatro.
A week of rehearsed readings of new works from Martin McCormick, Martin O’Connor, Alan McKendrick and Glaswegian writers as part of Paines Plough’s Come To Where I’m From, as well as a Mayfesto Song Party from the Community Choir, who have been meeting at the Tron for over a year now, complete the programme.
Mayfesto is a great opportunity to enjoy the very best in new engaged and engaging work and The Tron looks forward to welcoming you .
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- Walk in James Watt’s Footsteps
- An Evening with Gracey Flair at Helensburgh Library
- East End Free Festival
- Tenements Today Tenements Tomorrow
- Thirty Years of Glasgow Doors Open Day
- The Rebirth of the Clyde, Fairfield Heritage
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Glasgow Then and Now at The Mitchell Library
- Broken Chanter Album Launch, CCA
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Michael Simons at Partick Folk Club
- Free event: Scottish Writers Showcase, University of Glasgow
- Book Launch: Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- Leto GFT
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood GFT
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Inside Man GFT