Mayfesto, Tron Theatre, Glasgow, 9 – 31 May, 2017
The Tron, 63 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5HB
9-31 MAY 2017
Now very firmly fixed in the cultural calendar, Mayfesto is amini-festival of edgy and provocative new work – and this year’s theme is music..
Tron Creative is a strand of work that supports and nurtures emergent artists through a series of initiatives and the first Mayfesto show, Daphne Oram’s Wonderful World of Sound by Blood of the Young was developed as part of this strand. A journey through the amazing life of one of the great, unsung composers of the twentieth century, writers Paul Brotherston and Isobel McArthur bring you Daphne Oram’s incredible story.
Ramesh Meyyappan’s new comedic and highly physical piece of theatre, Off Kilter is as part of an international collaboration that sees the show premiere in Singapore; and to include in the programme the world premiere of Tromolo Production’s Music is Torture, a jet-black comedy featuring live music and new songs from A Band Called Quinn.
Horse McDonald’s Careful was a huge Fringe hit: the ‘candid, fearless’ story of how music saw her through some of the most difficult times in her life will be at The Tron for two nights only, as part of an extensive tour of the production.
Glasgow Glam Rock Dialogues in the Vic Bar, where pressing political and aesthetic concerns will be channelled through the spirits of Marc Bolan and Suzi Quatro.
A week of rehearsed readings of new works from Martin McCormick, Martin O’Connor, Alan McKendrick and Glaswegian writers as part of Paines Plough’s Come To Where I’m From, as well as a Mayfesto Song Party from the Community Choir, who have been meeting at the Tron for over a year now, complete the programme.
Mayfesto is a great opportunity to enjoy the very best in new engaged and engaging work and The Tron looks forward to welcoming you .
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- Colonel Mustard and the Dijon 5, Barrowland, After Party at the Art School
- Social Bite Help the Homeless this Christmas
- White Christmas, GFT
- Sorry To Bother You GFT
- Best Before Bed Silent Movies, Citizen M Glasgow
- Jingle All The Way, GFT
- Festive Family Shindig, Fundraiser Cure Claire’s Cancer
- Batman Returns Burnt Church Film Club
- The Muppet Christmas Carol, GFT
- Frozen Sing-a-long GFT
- Won’t You Be My Neighbour, GFT
- Home Alone GFT
- Pity Party Film Club, Cry Baby CCA
- Singles Christmas Night at Sleazy’s – 45 rpm party night
- Elf and Trading Places Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Nae Pasaran GFT
- Christmas Caroling
- Support Glasgow Film Theatre
- Gavin Sutherland ‘ Swinging Christmas’ at Glasgow City Halls
- First Events or Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Announced