Mayfesto, Tron Theatre, Glasgow, 9 – 31 May, 2017
The Tron, 63 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5HB
9-31 MAY 2017
Now very firmly fixed in the cultural calendar, Mayfesto is amini-festival of edgy and provocative new work – and this year’s theme is music..
Tron Creative is a strand of work that supports and nurtures emergent artists through a series of initiatives and the first Mayfesto show, Daphne Oram’s Wonderful World of Sound by Blood of the Young was developed as part of this strand. A journey through the amazing life of one of the great, unsung composers of the twentieth century, writers Paul Brotherston and Isobel McArthur bring you Daphne Oram’s incredible story.
Ramesh Meyyappan’s new comedic and highly physical piece of theatre, Off Kilter is as part of an international collaboration that sees the show premiere in Singapore; and to include in the programme the world premiere of Tromolo Production’s Music is Torture, a jet-black comedy featuring live music and new songs from A Band Called Quinn.
Horse McDonald’s Careful was a huge Fringe hit: the ‘candid, fearless’ story of how music saw her through some of the most difficult times in her life will be at The Tron for two nights only, as part of an extensive tour of the production.
Glasgow Glam Rock Dialogues in the Vic Bar, where pressing political and aesthetic concerns will be channelled through the spirits of Marc Bolan and Suzi Quatro.
A week of rehearsed readings of new works from Martin McCormick, Martin O’Connor, Alan McKendrick and Glaswegian writers as part of Paines Plough’s Come To Where I’m From, as well as a Mayfesto Song Party from the Community Choir, who have been meeting at the Tron for over a year now, complete the programme.
Mayfesto is a great opportunity to enjoy the very best in new engaged and engaging work and The Tron looks forward to welcoming you .
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Gig Guide, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- Spotlight on Cinemas – West End Festival 2018
- The 5th Annual Champipunship, OranMor
- Cindigo, Poets at West End Festival
- Explore Wellspring Writing, Laura T. Fyfe, Scottish Writers
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Dodie Bellamy, Kevin Killian, Calum Gardner, SWG3 Poetry Club
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Beyond Boundaries, Festival 2018, Call For Poems
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Launch of Autumn Voices 2018
- ‘Growing and Dying’ Tribute to Janet Paisley, Event at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Marian Keyes at Aye Write, the Mitchell Library
- Autumn Voices Project – Poetry Competition 2018
- Autumn Voices Showcase 2018
- Creative Writing Fair, University of Glasgow
- Aye Write: Wee Write Beano Cartoon Capers, Mitchell Library