Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Forgotten Holocaust
When I got up this morning I had no intention of writing what follows but it has been inspired by a discussion I have just heard on the radio. I don’t have a television so listen to radio 4 for news, comedy, drama, documentaries. What I have just heard resulted in my retrieving a book called ‘The Rape of Nanking’ by Iris Chang.*
On the front cover it is described as ‘The Forgotten Holocaust of World War 11’. I do not propose to detail events which again belie belief that one nation could perpetrate such atrocities on another. We all know of the Jewish Holocaust but how many have heard of the actions of Japan in China, following the Second Sino-Japanese War of the 1930s and the occupation of the latter by the former. In particular the period from December 1937 to March 1938 when one of the worst massacres in modern times took place.
The testimony of survivors, foreign correspondents and foreigners living in Nanking at the time all bear witness to the indescribable events of that short time. There are many who still deny it happened or, in the words of one, ‘It was war. These things happen in war.’ I won’t grace such an opinion with s comment. It speaks for itself. Read the book. Make up your own mind.
However, when considering the rather tense relationship between these two countries at the present time I do urge people to read this book which will give a greater understanding of China’s attitude towards Japan.
*The Rape of Nanking’ by Iris Chang, pub Penguin, 1997
This section: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
Filed under: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Public Lecture of the Publishing Scotland’s International Fellows Glasgow – review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s blog: How authors relax or do they?
- Mary Irvine blogging about A Goodbye Lunch
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Sad Day – Murder of Martin Luther King Jr
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Open Mic Hits The Sticks
- The Magician by Mary Irvine
- The Square, Broomhill, Glasgow – Restaurant Review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Writing about Greece and Byres Road Book Festival
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: PC Gone Mad, To Kill A Mocking Bird
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Another Musical Musing, October, 2017
- Leiper’s Attic at Cottiers Glasgow review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s Blog:Merchant City Festival Outdoor Stage at the Tron 22.07.2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review of ‘A Murder of Crows’ – A Debut Novel by Ian Skewis
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Time Out, Glasgow Women’s Library, St Louis Partick,July, 2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Anne and Mary’s Local Tales Review
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Autumn Voices: Exploring creativity in later life & writing comp for over 60s.
- Ten Writers Telling Lies book and cd launch review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Spa Day at the Carrick
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Lennox Heritage Society review talk in February, 2017