Mary Irvine’s Blog: Autumn Voices: Exploring creativity in later life & writing comp for over 60s.
In October 2016 I attended a Luminate event in which Larry Butler and Robin Lloyd-Jones, both over 70 (Robin’s actually over 80!) and still actively writing – not living on past glories), interviewed each other about their work and their projects concerning creativity in later life as well as writing for well-being. There were also short readings from people involved in these projects. Of particular stimulation for the audience were the interactive sessions when we explored ways of being creative as we age. (There are several websites giving information about Larry and Robin. Try putting their names into your search engine.)
Recently Robin very kindly came along to the Leven Litts Writers to give us an update on his project, ‘Autumn Voices’. This book is based on interviews with at least twenty Scottish writers from 70 to 90+ all still actively writing. For a full explanation of the project, its aims and objectives, access www.robinlloydjones.com/work-in-progress
During the course of his talk Robin gave us information about a new, slightly different competition. He felt many competitions had younger age limits so decided there should be one you can only enter if you’re over 60. You don’t have to me a member of anything!
How to enter the competition:
Any form of prose, max 2,000 words, no min and not a previously published piece. Each entry must have a cover sheet with your name and a pseudonym, address and phone number, an email address, and the title and word count. The manuscript should have the pseudonym at the top of the first page and pages should be numbered.
The submission date is June 24th 2017. Entry fee is £5. You can enter online to email@example.com .
Payment via BACS,
Acc Name: Scottish Association of Writers
Sort Code: 82-20-00
Acc No: 50401535
or by post to Autumn Voices, Janice Johnston, West Montgarswood Farm, Mauchline, Ayrshire KA5 6HJ. Cheques made payable to Scottish Association of Writers
The following is an extract from Luminate’s own website.
‘Luminate, Scotland’s creative ageing organisation, runs a diverse programme of creative events and activities throughout the year, including an annual arts festival running from 1st to 31st October across Scotland. The festival brings together older people and those from across the generations to celebrate our creativity as we age, share stories of ageing and explore what growing older means to all of us. Each year, there are activities all over Scotland – from art workshops and dance classes to music performances and authors’ events – and you will find Luminate in theatres, galleries, community halls, care homes and lunch clubs, as well as events online that take us to audiences everywhere.’
The Luminate festival this year will be held from 1st to 31st October 2017 across Scotland. Further information about how to get involved or put your event forward for inclusion in this year’s festival is available from www.luminatescotland.org
This section: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
Filed under: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Sad Day – Murder of Martin Luther King Jr
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Open Mic Hits The Sticks
- The Magician by Mary Irvine
- The Square, Broomhill, Glasgow – Restaurant Review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Writing about Greece and Byres Road Book Festival
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: PC Gone Mad, To Kill A Mocking Bird
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Another Musical Musing, October, 2017
- Leiper’s Attic at Cottiers Glasgow review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s Blog:Merchant City Festival Outdoor Stage at the Tron 22.07.2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review of ‘A Murder of Crows’ – A Debut Novel by Ian Skewis
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Time Out, Glasgow Women’s Library, St Louis Partick,July, 2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Anne and Mary’s Local Tales Review
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Autumn Voices: Exploring creativity in later life & writing comp for over 60s.
- Ten Writers Telling Lies book and cd launch review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Spa Day at the Carrick
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Lennox Heritage Society review talk in February, 2017
- Mary Irvine: Musings from Spetses 3.
- Mary Irvine’s Blog, Musings from Greece 2, February, 20, 2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Some musings from Greece, Saturday, Feb 18th 2017
- Mary Irvine’s blog: A Stimulating Day – Editing Workshop with Alan McMunnigall, Centre for Open Studies, University of Glasgow