Mary Coughlan Sounds in the Suburbs
Friday 7 November, 2017
The Accies Cricket Club, 21 Helensburgh Dr, Glasgow G13 1RR
One of the great privileges of putting on gigs is that you get to promote shows by really outstanding artists and see them up close in intimate venues. Sounds in the Suburbs are absolutely delighted that the wonderful Mary Coughlan will be playing at the Accies Club Friday 17 November, 2017, at Helensburgh Drive, Glasgow.
Anyone who saw her last year at Woodend will know that this is a very special act, as Q magazine said “The emotional purity in Mary Coughlan’s songs is so fragile that it is possible to become inconsolable when listening to her in a darkened room.” And as the NME said, “Mary’s live performances have to be seen to be believed.”
Mary stands alongside, or even between, the bruised, battered but unbeaten giants of jazz chanson on both sides of the Atlantic, Billie Holiday and Edith Piaf. Mary is the only singer these shores have produced to rival the greatest of European cabaret and American jazz club blues because of one thing: her voice. She is unique in blending the whisky-blurred, smoke-seared, husky notes and laconic wit of Billie Holiday and Peggy Lee and the line of deep, down and dirty blues singers back to Memphis Minnie and Bessie Smith with the sardonic, bitter-sweet defiance and despair of the Piaf chanteuse, born out of war, in the shadow of Brecht, at war with the world, men and finally herself.
And she enfolds it all in a delicious and unapologetic Irish drawl, sceptical, rueful, mournful and melting, ardent for love, all in one voice which wraps itself around Cole Porter and Jerome Kern, Elvis Presley and Joy Division, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and sails down that long river of blues that links the Mississippi to the Liffey in her magnificent Irish brogue.
See for yourself this immense talent, you will not be disappointed!
Doors at 8.00pm
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Dave Arcari, Hug and Pint, Glasgow Saturday 3 March, 2018
- Linda Jaxson Band, St Louis Cafe Bar, Partick Saturday 24 February, 2018
- 45s for 45 All Day Fundraiser, Old Toll Bar, Glasgow
- The Blue Arrow Club – New Home of Jazz in Glasgow
- The Shires, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
- Thank Funk it’s Friday, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Session A9 Celtic Connections 2018 review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
- Summer Nights at Kelvingrove Bandstand 2018
- Paul young with Los Pacaminos, The Venue, OranMor, Glasgow
- Celtic Connections 25th Anniversary Opening Concert, review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
- Seven Song Club The Wellgreen / Secret Goldfish / Cara Rose, The Tron
- Soul Bowl, Jordanhill Bowling Club, 27 January, 2018
- Lisa Kowalski at King Tut’s
- The Primevals, The Reverse Cowgirls and The Kundalini Genie, Seven Song Club
- Lola in Slacks + special guests, CCA
- Spangled Cabaret 10 BirthdayParty, Rio Pop Up
- The Skids and From The Jam Kelvingrove Bandstand 17 June, 2018
- Dona Oxford, OranMor, Glasgow 16 February, 2018
- Celtic Connections 2018 – Highlights from Scots Whay Hae!
- The Friction Burns Supper, Rio Pop Up, Glasgow