Mary Coughlan Sounds in the Suburbs
Friday 7 November, 2017
The Accies Cricket Club, 21 Helensburgh Dr, Glasgow G13 1RR
One of the great privileges of putting on gigs is that you get to promote shows by really outstanding artists and see them up close in intimate venues. Sounds in the Suburbs are absolutely delighted that the wonderful Mary Coughlan will be playing at the Accies Club Friday 17 November, 2017, at Helensburgh Drive, Glasgow.
Anyone who saw her last year at Woodend will know that this is a very special act, as Q magazine said “The emotional purity in Mary Coughlan’s songs is so fragile that it is possible to become inconsolable when listening to her in a darkened room.” And as the NME said, “Mary’s live performances have to be seen to be believed.”
Mary stands alongside, or even between, the bruised, battered but unbeaten giants of jazz chanson on both sides of the Atlantic, Billie Holiday and Edith Piaf. Mary is the only singer these shores have produced to rival the greatest of European cabaret and American jazz club blues because of one thing: her voice. She is unique in blending the whisky-blurred, smoke-seared, husky notes and laconic wit of Billie Holiday and Peggy Lee and the line of deep, down and dirty blues singers back to Memphis Minnie and Bessie Smith with the sardonic, bitter-sweet defiance and despair of the Piaf chanteuse, born out of war, in the shadow of Brecht, at war with the world, men and finally herself.
And she enfolds it all in a delicious and unapologetic Irish drawl, sceptical, rueful, mournful and melting, ardent for love, all in one voice which wraps itself around Cole Porter and Jerome Kern, Elvis Presley and Joy Division, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and sails down that long river of blues that links the Mississippi to the Liffey in her magnificent Irish brogue.
See for yourself this immense talent, you will not be disappointed!
Doors at 8.00pm
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Gavin Paterson Nova Scotia Folk Club
- The Wellgreen, Stilton, KiDD, West of Scotland Cricket Club
- David Rovics at the Doublet Bar
- Spangled Cabaret October 2018
- Starry Skies Album Launch, OranMor
- Fail Better Open Mic, Villiers & Co
- Jim Byrne, The Basement Jam, Tennent’s Bar, Glasgow
- Fara, OranMor, Glasgow
- Brooks Williams Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Seven Song Club, LOOPER and Wholly…..Cats
- Linda Jaxson Band at St Louis Cafe/Bar, Glasgow
- Songs of the Silver Screen, OranMor
- Yvonne Lyon and Eilidh Patterson, The Glad Cafe
- Ethan Johns, Love Music Glasgow
- Women at Carlton Studios, Glasgow, Monthly Event
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, 24 August, 2018
- Word Jazzology, Glasgow 30 August 2018
- Musicians in Exile, The Pearce Institute
- Martha L Healy, Album Launch, The Glad Cafe