Mary Coughlan Sounds in the Suburbs
Friday 7 November, 2017
The Accies Cricket Club, 21 Helensburgh Dr, Glasgow G13 1RR
One of the great privileges of putting on gigs is that you get to promote shows by really outstanding artists and see them up close in intimate venues. Sounds in the Suburbs are absolutely delighted that the wonderful Mary Coughlan will be playing at the Accies Club Friday 17 November, 2017, at Helensburgh Drive, Glasgow.
Anyone who saw her last year at Woodend will know that this is a very special act, as Q magazine said “The emotional purity in Mary Coughlan’s songs is so fragile that it is possible to become inconsolable when listening to her in a darkened room.” And as the NME said, “Mary’s live performances have to be seen to be believed.”
Mary stands alongside, or even between, the bruised, battered but unbeaten giants of jazz chanson on both sides of the Atlantic, Billie Holiday and Edith Piaf. Mary is the only singer these shores have produced to rival the greatest of European cabaret and American jazz club blues because of one thing: her voice. She is unique in blending the whisky-blurred, smoke-seared, husky notes and laconic wit of Billie Holiday and Peggy Lee and the line of deep, down and dirty blues singers back to Memphis Minnie and Bessie Smith with the sardonic, bitter-sweet defiance and despair of the Piaf chanteuse, born out of war, in the shadow of Brecht, at war with the world, men and finally herself.
And she enfolds it all in a delicious and unapologetic Irish drawl, sceptical, rueful, mournful and melting, ardent for love, all in one voice which wraps itself around Cole Porter and Jerome Kern, Elvis Presley and Joy Division, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and sails down that long river of blues that links the Mississippi to the Liffey in her magnificent Irish brogue.
See for yourself this immense talent, you will not be disappointed!
Doors at 8.00pm
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Amelia White, Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Seven Song Club: XAN TYLER / BARRY NEILSON The Tron
- All Dayer OranMor, West End Festival 2018
- The 5th Annual Champipunship, OranMor
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2018
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Gina Chavez, The Doublet, Sounds in the Suburbs
- Craft Cafe Summer Ball at Pearce Institute
- Lazy Saturday Afternoon, Friends of the River Kelvin at West End Festival
- Luca Manning, The Blue Arrow
- Take A Walk On The Weill Side, West End Festival 2018
- Scottish Fiddle Orchestra in Concert, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall September, 2018
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- PCL presents Jerron ‘Blind Boy’ Paxton, CCA
- Fiesta x Fold Festival, Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow 2018
- The Luthiers Concert, West End Festival
- Heidi Talbot and John McCusker at Cottiers
- Kittlin at Tchai Ovna
- The Electrics, 30 Anniversary, The Bungalow, Paisley
- The Great May Day Cabaret, Night for Chris Bartter, OranMor