Martin Stephenson, Sounds in the Suburbs, Partickhill Bowling Club, 21 July, 2017
Martin Stephenson was born in Durham, in 1961. He formed The Daintees in his teens with the deliberate intention of showcasing a broad range of musical styles.
Debut single ROLL ON SUMMERTIME was issued by Newcastle’s Kitchenware Records in 1982. becoming single of the week in Sounds thanks to the then editor Dave McCulloch, this followed with a centre page spread!
Successful and critically acclaimed albums BOAT TO BOLIVIA, GLADSOME, HUMOUR & BLUE, SALUTATION ROAD & THE BOY’S HEART followed over the decade, before Stephenson began cutting his ties with the mechanics of the mainstream music business.
Over the two decades since, Stephenson released a succession of strong self-produced albums such as YOGI IN MY HOUSE, THE LILAC TREE, COLLECTIVE FORCE, CALIFORNIA STAR & the 2015 classic HAUNTED HIGHWAY.
2016 saw the special re-recorded release of the Daintees’ critically acclaimed 1986 debut BOAT TO BOLIVIA. Celebrating the 30th anniversary of their classic debut album including a sold out tour throughout the UK and Ireland.
The same will happen in 2018 with GLADSOME H&B’s 30th anniversary, SALUTATION to follow in 2020 and BOY’S HEART IN 2022, All of these releases will be supported by a strong tour!
Stephenson has played literally thousands of concerts throughout the past 35 years – and it is a safe bet that there will have been a unique moment in each of them from this engaging and spontaneous live performer.
Partickhill Bowling Club, 46 Partickhill Road, G11 5BY
- Befriending Food Experience Launch
- M Gallery, Winter Exhibition Launch
- The Matrix, The Arches, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- The Stand Comedy Club Christmas Specials 2018
- Karine Polwart, Creative Conversations
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience, Audio, Christmas 2018
- Family Carol Service, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Innes Watson’s Guitar Colloquium, The Blue Arrow
- Doris, Dolly and the Dressing Room Divas, OranMor
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2018
- Fright Night and A Girl Walk Home Alone at Night, Burnt Church Film Club
- Die Hard GFT
- SQIFF18 A Girl at My Door CCA
- Pity Party Film Club, Cry Baby CCA
- Elf and Trading Places Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Refuweegee and Music Broth Unsilent Night Fundraiser
- First Events or Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Announced
- SUSTAIN £200 bursary available for Community Cinema Projects
- Home Alone GFT
- The Wild Pear Tree