Make Me Up at GFT
Followed by Q and A with Director, Rachel Maclean
14 October, 2018
In Make Me Up, multimedia artist Rachel Maclean has created a world that is both seductive and dangerous; a place where surveillance, violence and submission are a normalised part of daily life. She tackles these contradictions head-on and never balks at pushing boundaries.
This darkly-comic film takes a satirical look at the contradictory pressures faced by woman today. It examines how television and social media can be fun and expressive spaces to explore identity, but simultaneously a gilded prison that encourages women to conform to strict beauty ideals.
Siri wakes to find herself trapped inside a brutalist candy-coloured dreamhouse. Despite the cutesy décor, the place is far from benign, and she and her inmates are encouraged to compete for survival while being watched over by surveillance cameras, 24/7.
Presiding over the group is an authoritarian diva (who speaks entirely with the voice of Kenneth Clark from the 1960s BBC series Civilisation), as she forces the women to go head-to-head in a series of demeaning tasks, Siri, with the help of fellow inmate Alexa, starts subverting the rules and soon reveals the sinister truth that underpins their world.
Glasgow Film Theatre, 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Mary Queen of Scots
- Beautiful Boy GFT
- Blueprint: Theorem presents Dimension Zero CCA
- Kingpin: Cinema Parod-iso The Seaborne Neighbourhood Centre, Glasgow
- Naomi’s Journey, GFT
- Visible Cinema: Colette GFT
- Rosa Luxemburg, GFT
- Stan and Ollie, GFT
- Opening and Closing Galas announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- FrightFest Week-End 1 and 2 March, 2019
- Blueprint: Theorum CCA
- Collette, GFT
- Coach to Vienna + Fruit of Paradise | Ester Krumbachová Film Programme
- Conny Plank The Potential of Noise
- NT Live The Tragedy of King Richard II
- The Favourite, GFT
- CANCELLED She’s En Scene Women’s Screening: The Surprise Film CCA
- UK Jewish Film Zuzana: Music Is Life CCA
- One Cut Of The Dead, GFT
- Donkeyote, GFT