At The Kelvin Hall
Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s original plans for The Glasgow School of Art will be amongst the first items from The Hunterian to move to the new state of the art collections study facilities at Kelvin Hall.
The Hunterian at the University of Glasgow is home to the world’s largest single holding of the work of Scottish architect, artist and designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). A major component of The Hunterian’s Mackintosh collection is the collection of works on paper, which includes Mackintosh’s architectural, furniture and interior designs.
Over one million of the items from The Hunterian collections are currently being moved to bespoke storage and study facilities at Kelvin Hall - the newly refurbished Glasgow landmark building transformed by a partnership between the University of Glasgow, Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Life and the National Library of Scotland.
As well as the new storage facilities, The Hunterian Collections Study Centre features research and teaching labs, a conservation studio, search and seminar rooms and a conference suite.
The Glasgow School of Art restoration team will be the first users of the new Collections Study Centre when they come in to study Mackintosh’s original plans for The Glasgow School of Art on Monday 19 September.
The Glasgow School of Art Mackintosh Building was built between 1897 and 1909 and is considered to be Mackintosh’s greatest architectural masterpiece.
Page\Park were appointed as Design Team lead by The Glasgow School of Art which is working with a large number of contractors and organisations as it restores the world renowned building.
Mackintosh’s original plans from The Hunterian collections will provide crucial detail for the complex restoration project.
Director of The Hunterian, Professor David Gaimster, said:
‘Given the strength of our Mackintosh collection, we are delighted that colleagues from The Glasgow School of Art will be the first to use our unique new facilities at Kelvin Hall. The Hunterian Collections Study Centre will not only forge new academic practice and opportunity around our collections but will also mobilise object-based research, teaching and learning for the wider educational audience.’
The Hunterian houses an unrivalled collection of the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868 – 1928), covering the full range of his output as architect, designer and artist. His achievements include his masterpiece the Glasgow School of Art, the villas Windyhill and The Hill House, Scotland Street School, and a series of city-centre tea room interiors. Mackintosh was one of the most sophisticated exponents of the theory of the room as a work of art, and created distinctive furniture of great formal sophistication. He was also a gifted painter, producing exquisite flower paintings, and, late in life, striking landscapes of the South of France.
The new state of the art facilities at Kelvin Hall will allow the University of Glasgow to build on its international reputation for collection based research and teaching, offering much greater access to collections while forging new academic and educational practice.
At Kelvin Hall the University has created research and teaching labs and state of the art conservation studios alongside search and seminar rooms, dedicated postgraduate study space, a conference suite and library. Hunterian staff have new office space within the development. The Hunterian Museum, Hunterian Art Gallery, Mackintosh House and Zoology Museum remain open as usual on the main University of Glasgow campus.
The Hunterian is one of the world's leading University museums and one of Scotland’s greatest cultural assets. Built on Dr William Hunter’s founding bequest, The Hunterian collections include scientific instruments used by James Watt, Joseph Lister and Lord Kelvin; outstanding Roman artefacts from the Antonine Wall; major natural and life sciences holdings; Hunter’s own extensive anatomical teaching collection; one of the world’s greatest numismatic collections and impressive ethnographic objects from Captain Cook’s Pacific voyages.
The Hunterian is also home to one of the most distinguished public art collections in Scotland and features the world’s largest permanent display of the work of James McNeill Whistler, the largest single holding of the work of Scottish artist, architect and designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868–1928) and The Mackintosh House, the reassembled interiors from his Glasgow home.
The Kelvin Hall, 1445 Argyle Street, Glasgow G3 8AW