Lola Rose’s blog: Serenity Now Café plus recipes for Healthy Eating
Serenity Now Café, Glasgow
I was delighted to discover Serenity Now Café, a new Vegan Cafe on Great Western Road. I really enjoyed breakfast and it inspired me to try out some new recipes. So if you are ever walking down Great Western Road I would recommend dropping in to Serenity Now – it has an amazing affordable breakfast range including the acai berry bowl, which is one of my favourites.
My recipes inspired by the Serenity Café Menu
(You can alter them to be Vegan)
Breakfast: Berry smoothie bowl
300kcal Protein 8g Fat 14g Carbs 34g
- ¼ cup berries, any kind (frozen or fruit)
- ½ cup yoghurt, unsweetened (or soy yoghurt)
- 3 tbsp coconut shredded
- 3 tbsp rolled oats (unsweetened)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Pour yoghurt into a bowl and mix the berries in with coconut and rolled oats. Then sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and enjoy! There are no excuses as this recipe is quick and a simple way to eat healthy while still tasting delicious.
Lunch: healthy chicken guacamole wrap
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cups mango diced
- ½ lime
- 2 tsp fresh cilantro/ fresh coriander leaf (chopped)
- 1 100% whole grain tortilla
- 2 oz chicken breast strips (ready to eat)
- ¼ tomatoes
- ½ cups mixed leaf salad
- A tiny pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Prepare guacamole: Peel avocado, remove pit, and chop. Peel and chop mango (if not already diced). Wash and chop cilantro. Mix these ingredients together in a bowl then cut and juice lime. Finally add salt and pepper (this is optional).
- Evenly spread the guacamole on the tortilla(s)
- Wash and slice tomato and add to tortillas along with chicken and lettuce
- Roll the tortilla(s) tightly, tucking in both ends.
Dinner: Speedy shrimp and asparagus stir fry
- Egg or whole wheat noodles
- King prawns
- Green beans
- Baby corn
- ¼ Garlic
- ¼ ginger
- ½ lemon juice
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- Chop the asparagus, green beans and baby corn
- Add oil to pan and add shrimp on high heat with a pinch of salt and pepper (optional)
- Boil water and cook noodles in separate pot on a medium heat
- Once shrimp has been frying for 4 minutes add to shrimp the chopped green beans, asparagus, baby corn, chopped ginger, garlic, soy sauce, salt, pepper and lemon juice
- Once noodles are cooked take both the pot and pan off heat and add the noodles to the frying pan
- Stir noodles around in pan, if dry add more soy sauce and lemon then serve in bowl and enjoy.
Again all of these recipes can be altered to your preference; they will taste just as good!
(Exercise in a day to stay fit+ 1000 rep challenge)
My gym routine changes daily depending on what I want to work on at that time e.g. legs, arms, back etc. So to make it simple I set a challenge for myself that I try to do this challenge at least once every two weeks between other workouts.
The 1000 rep challenge
This mostly focuses on legs. You can do these sets with or without weights but if you are looking to build muscles use 10kg on either side of a barbell. I wouldn’t suggest using very heavy weights in this challenge as it could lead you to pull or strain your muscles badly.
1000 rep challenge involves:
200 hip thrusts on bench
200 squats on a hack squat machine
200 walking lunges
200 squat jumps
Very easy workout to remember you just need to give it your all. I usually separate it by doing 5 20 reps each and then continuing on with another 20 reps to finish. You will see results straight away and will make you feel great afterwards!
Serenity Now Cafe, 380 Great Western Road, Glasgow G4 9HT
0141 261 8065
This section: Lola Rose: aspiring writer, Pat's Home Page Blog
- Lola Rose’s blog: Serenity Now Café plus recipes for Healthy Eating
- Lola Rose’s blog: Review of Philadelphia, Here I Come
- A Tribute to Leonard Cohen