Linlithgow 18 Folk Festival, 7 – 11 September, 2016
The 18th Linlithgow Folk Festival promises to be the best yet!
Linlithgow Bowling Club
7 September, 2016 – From 8 p.m.
Celebrate the start of the 18th Festival in style with a great night of song, music and dance from the stalwarts of Linlithgow Folk Festival Association and friends.
Come along for a tune and a song, hear the best of our local talent, have a laugh and a bit of a hoolie to get you in the mood for the Festival weekend
Linlithgow Bowling Club, Philip Avenue EH49 7NH
FREE – donations welcome.
GEORGE MACHRAY AND FRIENDS – IN CONCERT
8 September at 7.30 p.m.
The Black Bitch Tavern
The East Lothian singer/songwriter is well-known on the Scottish folk scene and a regular visitor to sessions in Linlithgow. Tonight he appears in concert in the town for the first time. Hear him perform some of his more thoughtful songs, (e.g. ‘Quays o Cockenny’, ‘Lazy moon over Embra Toun’), as well as his comic creations (‘Hawkeye the noo’, ‘Grubby thoughts’, ‘Swinging in Dunbar’).
The concert will be followed by an informal session.
Black Bitch Tavern (Upstairs Lounge) EH49 7AZ
Admission FREE – donations welcome.
MUSICAL CRUISE WITH LINLITHGOW UNION CANAL SOCIETY (LUCS)
Friday 9th September – 6.30 p.m.
Always hugely popular, a cruise on the Union Canal, with live music from Cockleroy.Bring your own food for a canal-side barbecue afterwards, prepared by our good friends from LUCS.
Canal Centre, Manse Road, EH49 6AJ
Cost: All tickets £8 in advance from ‘Far From the Madding Crowd’, 20 High Street, Linlithgow EH49 7AE, or turn up and pay on the night.
BLUEGRASS CONCERT WITH THE DADDY NAGGINS
Friday 9 September – 8 p.m.
Queen Margaret Hall
The Daddy Naggins are a Glasgow-based bluegrass band that play rip roaring bluegrass and folk classics , as well as modern pop and rock songs. Formed in 2010 by Darren Young and Garry McFadden, on guitar and banjo respectively, the band also feature Hazel Finlay on bass fiddle and Laura-Beth Salter on mandolin, with occasional guest appearances from some of Glasgow’s finest traditional and bluegrass musicians.
The Daddy Naggins play music in an upbeat and enthusiastic manner and always try to get the audience’s feet tapping! They have played all over the UK and can usually be seen on a weekly basis around Scotland’s central belt. Please check them out and tell your friends the bluegrass train is coming to town!
Queen Margaret Hall, Blackness Road, Linlithgow, EH49 7JA
Cost: Admission £10 on the door or online at www.linlithgowfolk.yapsody.com. Also available from Norman Cummings Textiles, 75 The Vennel, EH49 7ET (tel: 01506 842013)
MUSIC AT THE CROSS ON THE NORA DEVINE STAGE
The Cross, Linlithgow
Time: from 10.30am to 5.00pm
Welcoming some great talent from near and far on our Outdoor Stage.
The day starts with WEANS’ WORLD – entertainment for and by children, featuring the Linlithgow Children’s Community Choir and special guests. A varied and exciting programme of music throughout the day.
Watch out for Jim Byrne at 4.05 – 4.30 p.m.
OPEN AIR FAMILY CEILIDH WITH COCKLEROY
Sunay 11 September – 2.30 – 4.30 p.m.
One of our most popular events for families and passers-by! Dancing on concrete slabs, so bring comfy shoes. In the event of rain, the ceilidh will take place in the Masonic Hall.
Please check Facebook and other social media for updates.
The Vennel, Town Centre, Linlithgow, EH49 7EX
- Scotland All Day Sacred Harp Singing 2018
- Social Bite – Sleep in the Park – Tackling Homelessness in Scotland
- Musicians in Exile, The Pearce Institute
- Martha L Healy, Album Launch, The Glad Cafe
- Hazy Recollections – Woody Pines , Yvonne Lyon , Al Shields, Glasgow Americana
- The Glad Cafe, 6th birthday celebration
- Glasgow Americana – Yola Carter & The Red Pine Timber Co, Cottiers
- John Waters’ Polyester – Launch of Scalarama Programme 2018
- Garden Party Weekend, Fundraiser, Glasgow
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Festival 2018, Berlin on Screen GFT
- Seven Song Club Weekender, Merchant City Festival
- GlasGLOW at the Botanic Gardens – Hallowe’en
- Yorkhill and Finnieston Gala 2018
- Publishing Scotland International Showcase, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Glasgow Songwriting Festival
- Bute Noir 2018
- Brooklyn On Tour Comes To Glasgow
- Merchant City Festival 2018
- Festival 2018 Glasgow