Launch Govanhill Book Festival 2019
Friday 9 August, 2019 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
In association with Go South: Southside Book Festival
The Rum Shack, 657 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow G41 2AB
Two new exciting book festivals with a difference come together to celebrate their launch and their events in the Govanhill International Festival. Free.
6.00pm: Welcome to Govanhill Book Festival
Writer Gerry Hassan and Govanhill Baths board member Vivienne Wilson welcome and introduce the book festival.
6.05pm: Govanhill: More United than Divided
Govanhill has changed in recent times with huge social transformation, new enterprises and initiatives as well as being covered in the press with often negative, unhelpful headlines.
Join journalist and Govanhill resident Catriona Stewart to discuss what is really happening with community champion Raza Sadiq, who has run the Active Life Club in the area for 20 years, Graham Steel: a Govanhill resident for 30 years, who is secretary of Govanhill Community Garden, Marian McSeveney, who runs the Govanhill Go! Social media pages, and Rahela Cirpaci of the pioneering Romano Lav working with the Roma community in Govanhill.
Part of Govanhill International Festival
- G20 Festival GBX Fundraiser
- Matchbox Cineclub Weird Weekend at CCA Glasgow
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Clydebuilt Festival Dragon Boat Race
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Walk in James Watt’s Footsteps
- An Evening with Gracey Flair at Helensburgh Library
- East End Free Festival
- Tenements Today Tenements Tomorrow
- The Rebirth of the Clyde, Fairfield Heritage
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Bohemia Bespoke Vintage Wedding Fair
- Free event: Scottish Writers Showcase, University of Glasgow
- Book Launch: Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Take One Action, GFT
- Extinction Rebellion Climate Carnival Renfrewshire
- Book Launch: A City of Segregation CCA
- The Farewell Opening Gala GYFF 2019