John Fullbright Mon 2nd Of Jun 2014, OranMor
Mon 2nd Of Jun 2014 – Live Music @ The Venue, OranMor
Quite simply, 23-year-old John Fullbright is one of the most exciting singer-songwriters to emerge this decade. His astonishing debut album (Blue Dirt Records/Thirty Tigers) features 12 original songs bursting with a musical and lyrical prowess that belie his youth.
Born in Woody Guthrie’s hometown of Okemah, Oklahoma, he grew up surrounded by a rich musical heritage. He started playing the piano at 5 and learned to play guitar at the legendary Blue Door eventually supporting Joe Ely and Jimmy Webb.
His songs capture an America not heard on disc for a very long time and conjure up an authenticity that recalls all the greats. From the opening chords of ‘Gawd Above’ written through God’s perspective to the closing beauty of ‘Song for A Child’, John Fullbright marks his arrival in some style.
John co-produced the album with Wes Sharon (Doobie Brothers, Gregg Allman) and plays piano, guitar, harmonica and organ. Special guests include guitarists Terry ‘Buffalo’ Ware and Andrew Hardin on guitar and Fats Kaplan on violin and steel guitar.
One of the highlights of this year’s SXSW, John Fullbright has spent much of the year touring the USA where this album came out last May.
‘From the Ground Up’ is a lyrically diverse, genre-spanning collection of memorable songs with staggering depth and promise. His voice smoulders and his songs catch fire. ‘From the Ground Up’ is that all too rare creature: an album to cherish and admire.
This event is brought to you by DF Concerts
Telephone: 0141 204 5151
Doors Open: 7:00 pm
Over 14s only – under 16s must be accompanied by an adult
Top of Byres Road,
Glasgow, G12 8QX.
T: 00 44 (0)141 357 6200
F: 00 44 (0)141 357 6201
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- The Tennessee Hotshots at Websters Playhouse
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Big Choir Concert at Cottiers
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Da Capo Alba guitar and mandolin orchestra Cottiers
- Nekkuro Hana, Kundalini Genie + Pelican Tusk, The Hug and Pint
- Album Launch: The Kundalini Genie ‘It’s All In Your Head’
- Rab Noakes, Websters 2
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Electric Frog and Pressure Riverside Festival
- Electric Honey Records Showcase – OranMor
- Carnival of the Dark Arts
- Sid Griffin and Peter Case Doublet Bar
- Bone Idle Bros, Starry Skies and Slipper Elm The Britannica Panopticon
- West End Festival: The Luthiers’ Concert Websters Theatre
- André Krengel & Roland Krause, Websters Theatre
- West End Festival: Songbird: Ellyn Oliver Sings Eva Cassidy
- Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham, Cottiers
- Hayes Carll plus Travis Linnvale, Cottiers