Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
25 January, 2018 – 6 p.m.– 8 p.m.
John Green will explore how Japanese prints influenced Western painters of the late nineteenth century.
The art of Japan was a revelation to some of the French Impressionistic artists. One of the most well-known forms of this Japanese art is the ukiyo-e “pictures of the floating world” woodblock prints. A stylized, narrative Japanese art form that emphasized flowing outlines, simplified forms, and a strong sense of design. This distinctive style of art flourished in Japan from the mid-seventeenth to the mid-nineteenth century. Many of these artists were masters of composition, of color and of form. Japanese woodblock prints strongly influenced European and American artists of the nineteenth century. Artists stylistically influenced by Japanese Prints include – Degas, Gauguin, Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec, Whistler and Seurat.
John Green recently left his Bath Street gallery after 33 years where he specialised in work by noted 19th and 20th Scottish artists. Many of his exhibitions included contemporary work demonstrating current artistic trends and developments as well as social and technical ones. John has a great interest in, and knowledge of, Japanese prints of which the Club has a small collection, donated by George Grosvenor Thomas (1856-1923) of Grosvenor, Thomas & Paterson, dealers of Japanese curios. These prints from the Club collection will be available to view on the night.
Glasgow Art Club185 Bath Street, G2 4HU
18.00 arrival (bar open)
- Book Launch: ‘this exquisite corpse’ Tawnya Renelle
- Maker And Producer (sustainable textiles)
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Dialogue: Niven Govinden and Season Butler
- Wild Festival and Gala, Children’s Wood
- The Bolshoi Ballet: Carmen Suite / Petrushka Live
- Arctic GFT
- Birds of Passage
- Slow Food Glasgow Food, Class and Transformation in Glasgow
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival Bailando Con Margot: An Encore Screening CCA
- Asbury Park: Riot, Redemption, Rock n Roll GFT
- Donbass GFT
- Submissions Glasgow Film Festival
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Robin Lloyd-Jones ‘A life in books’ Helensburgh Library
- Southside Film Festival 2019
- Wild Rose Review Pat Byrne
- Scalarama Press/Marketing and Design
- Liam Gallagher: As It Was plus Exclusive Live Satellite Performance
- NT Live: Small Island, GFT