Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
25 January, 2018 – 6 p.m.– 8 p.m.
John Green will explore how Japanese prints influenced Western painters of the late nineteenth century.
The art of Japan was a revelation to some of the French Impressionistic artists. One of the most well-known forms of this Japanese art is the ukiyo-e “pictures of the floating world” woodblock prints. A stylized, narrative Japanese art form that emphasized flowing outlines, simplified forms, and a strong sense of design. This distinctive style of art flourished in Japan from the mid-seventeenth to the mid-nineteenth century. Many of these artists were masters of composition, of color and of form. Japanese woodblock prints strongly influenced European and American artists of the nineteenth century. Artists stylistically influenced by Japanese Prints include – Degas, Gauguin, Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec, Whistler and Seurat.
John Green recently left his Bath Street gallery after 33 years where he specialised in work by noted 19th and 20th Scottish artists. Many of his exhibitions included contemporary work demonstrating current artistic trends and developments as well as social and technical ones. John has a great interest in, and knowledge of, Japanese prints of which the Club has a small collection, donated by George Grosvenor Thomas (1856-1923) of Grosvenor, Thomas & Paterson, dealers of Japanese curios. These prints from the Club collection will be available to view on the night.
Glasgow Art Club185 Bath Street, G2 4HU
18.00 arrival (bar open)
- Iain’s Brushwork Brings Art to Life at Thistle Gallery
- Wastepaper Opera and Papaloose present (i) The Opera, Glasgow
- Art for Sale at Project-Abilty
- Home Grown In Glasgow – a poem for International Women’s Day by Ruby McCann
- Silence a poem inspired by snow by Leela Soma
- Artists Exploring Outer Shapes…. Inner Spaces, Thistle Gallery
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Valentine Haiku by Leela Soma
- Hearts for Art’s Sake, Valentine’s Gifts at Thistle Gallery
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Sonnet Youth, The Drygate
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Everything in my Etsy shop is on sale: framed prints include classic views of the West End
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Poetry at Inn Deep, Tuesday 14 November, 2017