Jane Harris Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
Monday, 1 October, 2018 – 1 p.m.
NOVELIST JANE HARRIS
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Jane Harris’s first novel The Observations was shortlisted for the Orange Prize for Fiction 2007 and was shortlisted for the Prix du Premier Roman Etranger. Her second novel Gillespie and I was shortlisted for Popular Fiction Book of the Year in the Galaxy National Book Awards in 2011. Waterstones selected Jane as one of its 25 Authors for the Future, and Richard and Judy chose The Observations as one of their 100 Books of the Decade.
Jane’s most recent novel, Sugar Money is set in Martinique in 1765. Brothers Emile and Lucien are charged by their French master, Father Cléophas, with a mission. They must return to Grenada, the island they once called home, and smuggle back the 42 slaves claimed by English invaders at the hospital plantation in Fort Royal.
…It is in Grenada that Harris makes the brutal reality of slavery utterly plain. The risk of her earlier restraint has paid off and the brief, harrowing scenes towards the novel’s climax have an extra power because of it….Alex Peake-Tomkinson, The Spectator
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series, novelist Jane Harris comes to campus to chat about her writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Aye Write: The Writing of Janet Paisley with Dr Linda Jackson, University of Strathclyde
- Creative Conversations – Novelist Jacob Ross
- The Raft Glasgow Film Theatre
- Poetry at Inn Deep
- Aye Write: Louise Welsh Introduces… Temi Oh & Bridget Collins
- Aye Write: Helena Kennedy QC
- Aye Write: Stuart Cosgrove & Ken McNab
- Aye Write: Frank Quitely The Comics That Made Me
- Tracey Thorn at Aye Write
- Open Mic Tuesdays at Queen Margaret Union
- David Keenan and Chris McQueer in Conversation
- Lorna Goodison, Poet Laureate of Jamaica in Conversation with Louise Welsh
- Clochoderick Press Presents an Evening of Poetry and Spoken Word
- Women in Islam Exhibition
- Book Launch: Handle with Care and other stories by Ann MacLaren
- Tandem at The Tron
- OK Fest – Kilmacolm’s Festival of Sound
- Sisters and Seamonsters – Chiara Berardelli
- Creative Conversations: Mark Cousins
- St Mungo’s Mirrorball Mirrorball Poetry Showcase February, 2019