In Common Mural Project, Festival 2014, Glasgow Commonwealth Games
International Mural Project in Glasgow – created by Recoat
To celebrate the Commonwealth Games coming to Glasgow, Recoat were commissioned to curate a mural project across the city as part of Festival 2014. These pieces are to be permanent artworks.
Recoat invited five Commonwealth artists to travel to Glasgow to paint large scale, striking artworks on buildings that explored the theme of ‘Identity’. The murals were sited in the City Centre and North, East, South, and West of the city.
They selected world-renowned mural artists who have all painted pieces extensively across the globe:
Askew traveled from New Zealand to paint the Townhead Campus of the City of Glasgow College building in the city centre.
The Scottish representative was Elph, who worked with the Eastpark School in Maryhill to create his piece.
Best|Ever, a duo from England, who recently returned from a Gambian project, painted an imposing, protective female icon in the Barras.
Ibrox was decorated with a subtle piece of a woman holding a tangled thread by South African artist, Faith 47.
The fifth mural was created by Australian artist, Fintan Magee, who painted a mural in Partick that marks the entrance to a newly built community garden.
These artworks celebrate what we have in common and what sets us apart as humans and members of the Commonwealth with shared and different ancestry, beliefs and traditions. The murals will act as a positive and permanent reminder of the Games in Glasgow.
This section: Art - what's on, Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh: Making the Glasgow Style
- Henry Raeburn’s ‘Boy and Rabbit’ at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- can’t take my eyes off you – ProjectAbility
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017