In Common Mural Project, Festival 2014, Glasgow Commonwealth Games
International Mural Project in Glasgow – created by Recoat
To celebrate the Commonwealth Games coming to Glasgow, Recoat were commissioned to curate a mural project across the city as part of Festival 2014. These pieces are to be permanent artworks.
Recoat invited five Commonwealth artists to travel to Glasgow to paint large scale, striking artworks on buildings that explored the theme of ‘Identity’. The murals were sited in the City Centre and North, East, South, and West of the city.
They selected world-renowned mural artists who have all painted pieces extensively across the globe:
Askew traveled from New Zealand to paint the Townhead Campus of the City of Glasgow College building in the city centre.
The Scottish representative was Elph, who worked with the Eastpark School in Maryhill to create his piece.
Best|Ever, a duo from England, who recently returned from a Gambian project, painted an imposing, protective female icon in the Barras.
Ibrox was decorated with a subtle piece of a woman holding a tangled thread by South African artist, Faith 47.
The fifth mural was created by Australian artist, Fintan Magee, who painted a mural in Partick that marks the entrance to a newly built community garden.
These artworks celebrate what we have in common and what sets us apart as humans and members of the Commonwealth with shared and different ancestry, beliefs and traditions. The murals will act as a positive and permanent reminder of the Games in Glasgow.
This section: Art - what's on, Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014
- Denise Noone Bathing Bells at Govanhill Baths review by Pat Byrne
- Introduction to Study at Glasgow School of Art
- Brushes With War, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Bathing Bells Exhibition, Govanhill Baths
- Young Talent Exhibition, ProjectAbility Glasgow
- Shaping Their World, Thistle Gallery
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Museums at Night, Glasgow, October, 2018
- Women’s Suffrage in Glasgow Exhibition, The Mitchell
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Cryptic Sonica in Glasgow 2018 – Portal, Pivot and Visaurihelix
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- HYPERMARKET – ART CAR BOOT, SWG3 2018
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Summer Show 2018, Ardarden Farm Shop
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend