In Common Mural Project, Festival 2014, Glasgow Commonwealth Games
International Mural Project in Glasgow – created by Recoat
To celebrate the Commonwealth Games coming to Glasgow, Recoat were commissioned to curate a mural project across the city as part of Festival 2014. These pieces are to be permanent artworks.
Recoat invited five Commonwealth artists to travel to Glasgow to paint large scale, striking artworks on buildings that explored the theme of ‘Identity’. The murals were sited in the City Centre and North, East, South, and West of the city.
They selected world-renowned mural artists who have all painted pieces extensively across the globe:
Askew traveled from New Zealand to paint the Townhead Campus of the City of Glasgow College building in the city centre.
The Scottish representative was Elph, who worked with the Eastpark School in Maryhill to create his piece.
Best|Ever, a duo from England, who recently returned from a Gambian project, painted an imposing, protective female icon in the Barras.
Ibrox was decorated with a subtle piece of a woman holding a tangled thread by South African artist, Faith 47.
The fifth mural was created by Australian artist, Fintan Magee, who painted a mural in Partick that marks the entrance to a newly built community garden.
These artworks celebrate what we have in common and what sets us apart as humans and members of the Commonwealth with shared and different ancestry, beliefs and traditions. The murals will act as a positive and permanent reminder of the Games in Glasgow.
This section: Art - what's on, Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Claiming Back the Narrative, Refugee Week Scotland 2019
- Summer Time, Summer Place Thistle Gallery
- Maker And Producer (sustainable textiles)
- DEGREE SHOW Glasgow School of Art 2019
- Glasgow School of Art Master of Fine Art Degree Show 2019
- Fashion Design Students Showcase Degree Show 2019
- Mackintosh Still Life Drawing
- Patrick McAlindon at The Glasgow Guild
- Rhona Mühlebach Loch Long Solo Exhibition GFT
- Thistle Gallery: Vibrant Show Celebrates The Coming of Spring