‘I Say Nothing’ Kelvingrove – introduction by Christine Borland
Tuesday 12 March, 2019 – 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Scottish artist Christine Borland will discuss her new artwork, ‘I Say Nothing’, co-commissioned by Glasgow Museums and 14-18 NOW, with Art Fund support. Part of nationwide centenary commemorations, the installation was made in response to Glasgow Museums’ World War I collection and is intended to stimulate reflection and debate on conflict past and present.
In 1918 and 1919, Glasgow Museums purchased a collection of boxes containing charms and amulets ‘worn by the fighting men in the Great War’. The handwritten title of one of the charms (a Chinese soap-stone monkey) is ‘I say nothing’. These, along with three mule hooves, a moss-filled pillow and a book of French gramma riddled with shrapnel holes, are amount the objects to which Christine Borland found herself drawn during her year of research at Glasgow Museums Resource Centre.
Of particular interest to the artist has been a modest white ceramic invalid feeder cup in the museums’ handling collection. The teapot-like object, examples of which were used both to nurse the sick during the war and force-feed hunger-striking suffragettes in the years running up to 1914, speaks of the duality of institutional care and brutality.
Through an expanded focus on this object, Borland explores the potential for a simple object to embody something much more than the reality of its humble form or material. While the stasis of storage – or, indeed, the passing of time – can render historical objects mute, I Say Nothing aims to give them a voice.
Situated on the South Balcony in Kelvingrove, Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG
- Only You GFT
- Tell It To The Bees GFT
- Our Time, GFT
- Varda by Agnes GFT
- CineRoma at Govanhill International Festival
- Back to the future: 1979-1989 Film Screenings at Kelvin Hall
- African Film Touring Programme Summer 2019
- Dance with a Stranger, GFT
- Eatfilm at Sloans presents Black Panther
- Africa in Motion Africa 3.0: Vanity CCA
- Gaza GFT
- Gwen, GFT
- Matchbox Cineclub + Sad Girl Cinema Der Fan
- Gregory’s Girl, Back to the Future at Kelvin Hall
- University of Glasgow Short Courses Open Evening 2019
- Africa in Motion Film Festival Foreign Body CCA
- Gypsy Music Short Course
- Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese GFT
- Of Fish and Foe GFT
- Special Events at Glasgow Film Theatre July 2019