‘I Say Nothing’ Kelvingrove – introduction by Christine Borland
Tuesday 12 March, 2019 – 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Scottish artist Christine Borland will discuss her new artwork, ‘I Say Nothing’, co-commissioned by Glasgow Museums and 14-18 NOW, with Art Fund support. Part of nationwide centenary commemorations, the installation was made in response to Glasgow Museums’ World War I collection and is intended to stimulate reflection and debate on conflict past and present.
In 1918 and 1919, Glasgow Museums purchased a collection of boxes containing charms and amulets ‘worn by the fighting men in the Great War’. The handwritten title of one of the charms (a Chinese soap-stone monkey) is ‘I say nothing’. These, along with three mule hooves, a moss-filled pillow and a book of French gramma riddled with shrapnel holes, are amount the objects to which Christine Borland found herself drawn during her year of research at Glasgow Museums Resource Centre.
Of particular interest to the artist has been a modest white ceramic invalid feeder cup in the museums’ handling collection. The teapot-like object, examples of which were used both to nurse the sick during the war and force-feed hunger-striking suffragettes in the years running up to 1914, speaks of the duality of institutional care and brutality.
Through an expanded focus on this object, Borland explores the potential for a simple object to embody something much more than the reality of its humble form or material. While the stasis of storage – or, indeed, the passing of time – can render historical objects mute, I Say Nothing aims to give them a voice.
Situated on the South Balcony in Kelvingrove, Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG
- Book Launch: Welcome to the Heady Heights by David Ross
- Woodlands Community Garden’s 9th Birthday Celebration
- Starchild Art for Africa with McTears Auctioneers and The Hidden Lane Gallery
- Frank Turner at Aye Write
- Lynn Howarth Featured Artist at The Glasgow Gallery
- Aye Write! Open Mic with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Andrew O’Hagan Creative Conversations
- Launch of The Blame Game C.J. Cooke
- Hannah Aldridge and the Goat Roper Band
- Music Broth Grow With Music Youth Project
- Aye Write: Emily Cutts with Carol Craig
- Ras Digby (Sir Jessus Soundsystem) The Rum Shack
- Girl GFT
- Astro Black GSFF at CCA
- Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- First Reels 2: Scottish Women Filmmakers of the 1990s CCA
- Wuthering Heights, Glasgow Film Theatre
- GSFF19 | Blueprint: Scottish Independent Shorts
- Accents, Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- Us, Glasgow Film Theatre