The Hunterian Gallery, Glasgow: Scottish Gold exhibition set to shine
14 March – 15 June 2014 Hunterian Art Gallery
A spectacular new exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery is set to shine when it opens in March.
Scottish Gold brings together a glittering array of the finest gold specimens and objects from The Hunterian collection and other institutions across the UK, including the British Museum and the Royal Collection in London.
The exhibition explores the use of gold in Scotland from prehistoric times to the present, offering an informative look at the history and cultural significance of the often valuable and highly sought-after precious metal.
Focussing on the occurrence of gold in Scotland and Scottish gold mining, the show also covers the natural history of gold, the first use of gold coinage in Scotland and the infamous Darien disaster of the late 1600s.
Amongst the many treasures on display will be Queen Victoria’s gold collar of the Order of the Thistle; ‘cloth of gold’ from the tomb of Robert the Bruce; a multitude of Scottish gold coins including a bonnet piece of James V; Bronze and Iron Age gold torcs including the hoard from Law Farm, Morayshire; a gold ampulla used at the Scottish Coronation of Charles I; the King’s Gold Cup from the Leith races of 1751 and ten of the largest gold nuggets found in Scottish rivers.
Contemporary items include an 18 carat solid gold quaich made by Scottish goldsmith Graham Stewart and a Millennium gold medal produced by Malcolm Appleby for the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Scottish Gold offers a unique opportunity to learn about the precious metal as part of the natural history of Scotland and our close relationship with it over millennia.
Hunterian Art Gallery
82 Hillhead Street University of Glasgow Glasgow G12 8QQ
Open Tuesday – Saturday 10.00am – 5.00pm and Sunday 11.00am – 4.00pm
Closed Monday Admission free – admission charge for special exhibitions
For further information contact: Neil Clark, Curator <a href="Neil.Clark@glasgow.ac.uk">Neil.Clark@glasgow.ac.uk</a>
This section: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art - what's on
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Everything in my Etsy shop is on sale: framed prints include classic views of the West End
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Poetry at Inn Deep, Tuesday 14 November, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017
- Easing into Autumn With ‘Seven of Seven’, Thistle Gallery from 19 October, 2017 until end of the month.
- Scotland’s Own Coinage, The Hunterian, From 3 October 2017
- A Synchronology: the contemporary and other times, Hunterian Art Gallery, 27 October 2017 – 28 January 2018
- Family Ties, Thistle Gallery, 30 September – 15 October, 2017
- Carol Dunbar, Gallery Owner: Local Character, Glasgow West End
- Glasgow Doors Open Days Glasgow School of Art, Restoring Mackintosh Building, 11 September 2017
- An Afternoon at Windows in the West, Avril Paton, Mackintosh Festival 2017, Queens Cross Church, 20 October, 2017
- ‘Tempest’ Stirs Up A Storm! Thistle Gallery, Park Road, 9 – 25 September, 2017
- Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw – French Artist Explores ‘Lost In Translations’ Thistle Gallery, 17 August – 3 September, 2017
- Neil Clements’ Electric Eye, The Hunterian – runs until 8 October, 2017
- By Distinction Gallery, Byres Road – Summer Hues Exhibition still running, August 2017
- Sandi Anderson: A Journey Exhibition Runs: 12 – 28 August, 2017 Glasgow Art Club