The Hunterian Gallery, Glasgow: Scottish Gold exhibition set to shine
14 March – 15 June 2014 Hunterian Art Gallery
A spectacular new exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery is set to shine when it opens in March.
Scottish Gold brings together a glittering array of the finest gold specimens and objects from The Hunterian collection and other institutions across the UK, including the British Museum and the Royal Collection in London.
The exhibition explores the use of gold in Scotland from prehistoric times to the present, offering an informative look at the history and cultural significance of the often valuable and highly sought-after precious metal.
Focussing on the occurrence of gold in Scotland and Scottish gold mining, the show also covers the natural history of gold, the first use of gold coinage in Scotland and the infamous Darien disaster of the late 1600s.
Amongst the many treasures on display will be Queen Victoria’s gold collar of the Order of the Thistle; ‘cloth of gold’ from the tomb of Robert the Bruce; a multitude of Scottish gold coins including a bonnet piece of James V; Bronze and Iron Age gold torcs including the hoard from Law Farm, Morayshire; a gold ampulla used at the Scottish Coronation of Charles I; the King’s Gold Cup from the Leith races of 1751 and ten of the largest gold nuggets found in Scottish rivers.
Contemporary items include an 18 carat solid gold quaich made by Scottish goldsmith Graham Stewart and a Millennium gold medal produced by Malcolm Appleby for the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Scottish Gold offers a unique opportunity to learn about the precious metal as part of the natural history of Scotland and our close relationship with it over millennia.
Hunterian Art Gallery
82 Hillhead Street University of Glasgow Glasgow G12 8QQ
Open Tuesday – Saturday 10.00am – 5.00pm and Sunday 11.00am – 4.00pm
Closed Monday Admission free – admission charge for special exhibitions
For further information contact: Neil Clark, Curator <a href=”Neil.Clark@glasgow.ac.uk”>Neil.Clark@glasgow.ac.uk</a>
This section: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art - what's on
- Iain’s Brushwork Brings Art to Life at Thistle Gallery
- Wastepaper Opera and Papaloose present (i) The Opera, Glasgow
- Art for Sale at Project-Abilty
- Home Grown In Glasgow – a poem for International Women’s Day by Ruby McCann
- Silence a poem inspired by snow by Leela Soma
- Artists Exploring Outer Shapes…. Inner Spaces, Thistle Gallery
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Valentine Haiku by Leela Soma
- Hearts for Art’s Sake, Valentine’s Gifts at Thistle Gallery
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Sonnet Youth, The Drygate
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Everything in my Etsy shop is on sale: framed prints include classic views of the West End
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Poetry at Inn Deep, Tuesday 14 November, 2017