Hillhead Bookclub Restaurant review Pat Byrne
17 Vinicombe St, Glasgow G12 8SJ
Telephone: 0141 576 1700
I went along tonight (22 May, 2018) to Hillhead BookClub to try out their new menu. It took me a while to decide as there’s an extensive choice and also a new separate Veggie menu. The staff were very attentive but also patient so I enjoyed a Prosecco as I tried to make up my mind.
Eventually I opted for Goats Cheese and Beetroot Terrine, which was very tasty and looked spectacular.
For my main course I had Snapper (first time I’d ever tried this fish) with chargrilled Fennel, Chorizo Strips and Parsley Mash. It was beautifully presented and mouthwatering. I thought the chorizo may have overpowered the fish but the snapper held its own, albeit very delicate with a crispy skin.
The portions were generous so I couldn’t manage a sweet but I had a bit of an adventure and ordered a cocktail. The choice was almost as difficult to make as the food and really I think I would have enjoyed any one. I was torn between a ‘Blood Orange Margarita’, El Jimador, Apricot liqueur, Agave Syrup, Lime and Blood Orange and an ‘Indecent Proposal’, Bacardi, Falernum, Coconut and Passion Fruit. Eventually I opted for the latter– I could become addicted.
It’s a really lovely restaurant, casual and quirky – you can have a game of table tennis in one corner. I had the best seat in the house on the high balcony, where you have a view over the whole restaurant; well placed to admire the fabulously elaborate ceiling harking back to an earlier life as The Salon Picture House.
I enjoyed a chat with Nicola, the marketing manager, and got lots of information about the various events at the restaurant and those planned for the West End Festival including the Vinicombe Street Party on 3 June.
Watch Out For
Mac World Cup – 8 countries represented with mac and cheese – every Tuesday throughout June.
Veggies Are People Too – Meat Free Mondays 25% off all meat free dishes throughout June. (Veggie Menu (PDF) )
Who’s Your Da? – Father’s Day – treat your auld da to a classic pie and pint for only £11.95
Herbivore 14 June, 2018 – 3 courses of veggie and vegan paired with vegan beer. £26 per person – booking essential.
Steak Jazz and Wine – Flat iron steak, chips, onion rings and glass of wine plus choic of sauc Jazzy Sets from Tuner and Rebecca Vasment. £20.
Vintage Fair – Granny Would Be Proud – 24 June, 2018.
Pat Byrne, 22 May, 2018
This section: Eating and drinking Glasgow West End, European Restaurants
- Platform Food and Farmers Market Glasgow
- The Greatest Showman Eat/Film at Sloans
- Scotland’s Food and Drink Fortnight 2018
- Special Offer at Dining In, Mother India, Glasgow
- Summer Evening Menu at Eusebi
- The Bird Cage, Pop Up Restaurant, Tontine Lane Glasgow
- Brooklyn On Tour Comes To Glasgow
- Glasgow’s Big Feed, Govan, 8 and 9 September, 2018
- Mary Irvine blogging about A Goodbye Lunch
- Hillhead Bookclub Restaurant review Pat Byrne
- Big Feed Street Food Special, Govan
- World Disco Soup, CCA, Glasgow
- La Lanterna West End review by Pat Byrne
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Mother India – A La Carte Menu and Lunch at The Den
- Peter Houghton Art at Eusebi Easter, 2018
- Mother India Glasgow – early evening and lunch menu
- Eusebi – enjoy a lovely Mother’s Day in Glasgow West End
- Mother’s Day 2018 at Leiper’s Attic
- Beefcake Cafe, Anniesland