Helen MacKinven Glasgow Women’s Library Story Cafe´Special, Thursday 25 February, 2016.
Story Café Special: Helen MacKinven
February 25, 2016 @ 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm
GWL’s Story Café provides a uniquely intimate way of hearing from some of the best Scottish women writers. Helen MacKinven will chat about her fierce and funny debut novel, Talk of the Toun. An uplifting black comedy of love, family life and friendship, it’s a bittersweet coming-of-age tale set in the summer of 1985, in working class, central belt Scotland.
Lifelong friends Angela and Lorraine are two very different girls, and a growing divide in their aspirations puts their friendship under increasing strain. Artistically gifted Angela has her sights set on art school, and although Lorraine’s ambitions are focused closer to home, Angela has plans for her too…
Effortlessly capturing the religious and social intricacies of 1980s Scotland, Talk of the Toun is the perfect mix of pathos and humour as the two girls wrestle with the complications of growing up and exploring who they really are.
Fresh, fierce and funny… a sharp and poignant study of growing up in 1980s Scotland.
‘You’ll laugh, you’ll cry…you’ll cringe’ – Karen Campbell
The event is for women only and suitable for 16+. Cost is £2.00 and you can pay on the day. Subsidised or free places are offerd for students, people on a low income, unemployed or those in receipt of benefit and Friends of GWL.
Register for the event online or Telephone: 0141 550 2267 to register your interest and have your name added to the Story Café mailing list
Glasgow Women’s Library, 23 Landressy Street, Glasgow, G40 1BP
- Bohemia Bespoke Vintage Wedding Fair
- Stories from the Southside – Govanhill Book Festival
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- Do The Right Thing CineMasters Spike Lee at GFT
- G20 Youth Festival – Raising Funds
- Govanhill Carnival Parade 2019
- Govanhill International Festival 2019
- Mother Courage and Her Children by Tom Leonard
- Only You GFT
- Tell It To The Bees GFT
- Our Time, GFT
- Varda by Agnes GFT
- CineRoma at Govanhill International Festival
- Back to the future: 1979-1989 Film Screenings at Kelvin Hall
- African Film Touring Programme Summer 2019
- Dance with a Stranger, GFT
- Eatfilm at Sloans presents Black Panther
- Africa in Motion Africa 3.0: Vanity CCA
- Gaza GFT
- Gwen, GFT