Harry Papadopoulos Photography Exhibition Until 29 August, 2014
Until 29 August, 2014
This outing for ever-popular work of Papadopoulos focuses on some of the Scottish acts of the post-punk era when Glasgow was something of an epicenter of independent music.
Images include Edwyn Collins and Orange Juice, The Dreamboys (featuring frontman Peter Capaldi and Craig Ferguson on drums), The Laughing Apple (featuring Alan McGee of Creation Records), Claire Grogan of Altered Images, Aztec Camera, and Edinburgh luminaries Davy Henderson, pictured (Fire Engines, Win, Nectarine No.9 and now of The Sexual Objects), Josef K and The Scars. Also on show are images of British and US punk acts – both pre and post punk – such as Gil Scott-Heron, The Clash, The Specials, and Julian Cope.
Harry was born in 1954 in Helensburgh and attended Penilee Secondary School, then on to Paisley College of Technology where he gained a BSc. in Electrical Engineering. In 1976 he attended Jordanhill College, and became a teacher of Maths and Physics. He is a self-taught photographer whose interest was inspired by taking photographs at gigs in the late 1970’s. Following a long and productive stint at Sounds music weekly as a photographer, Harry became editor of Marvel Comics publications such as Care Bears, Flintstones, and Star Trek. In August 2002 Harry suffered a brain aneurysm and returned to Glasgow in February 2006.
The exhibition is co-curated by Ken McCluskey.
The book ‘What Presence!’ published last year by Polygon is available in the library.
Hillhead Library, 348 Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8AP
This section: Art - what's on, Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014
- Denise Noone Bathing Bells at Govanhill Baths review by Pat Byrne
- Introduction to Study at Glasgow School of Art
- Brushes With War, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Bathing Bells Exhibition, Govanhill Baths
- Young Talent Exhibition, ProjectAbility Glasgow
- Shaping Their World, Thistle Gallery
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Museums at Night, Glasgow, October, 2018
- Women’s Suffrage in Glasgow Exhibition, The Mitchell
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Cryptic Sonica in Glasgow 2018 – Portal, Pivot and Visaurihelix
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- HYPERMARKET – ART CAR BOOT, SWG3 2018
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Summer Show 2018, Ardarden Farm Shop
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend