Harry Papadopoulos Photography Exhibition Until 29 August, 2014
Until 29 August, 2014
This outing for ever-popular work of Papadopoulos focuses on some of the Scottish acts of the post-punk era when Glasgow was something of an epicenter of independent music.
Images include Edwyn Collins and Orange Juice, The Dreamboys (featuring frontman Peter Capaldi and Craig Ferguson on drums), The Laughing Apple (featuring Alan McGee of Creation Records), Claire Grogan of Altered Images, Aztec Camera, and Edinburgh luminaries Davy Henderson, pictured (Fire Engines, Win, Nectarine No.9 and now of The Sexual Objects), Josef K and The Scars. Also on show are images of British and US punk acts – both pre and post punk – such as Gil Scott-Heron, The Clash, The Specials, and Julian Cope.
Harry was born in 1954 in Helensburgh and attended Penilee Secondary School, then on to Paisley College of Technology where he gained a BSc. in Electrical Engineering. In 1976 he attended Jordanhill College, and became a teacher of Maths and Physics. He is a self-taught photographer whose interest was inspired by taking photographs at gigs in the late 1970’s. Following a long and productive stint at Sounds music weekly as a photographer, Harry became editor of Marvel Comics publications such as Care Bears, Flintstones, and Star Trek. In August 2002 Harry suffered a brain aneurysm and returned to Glasgow in February 2006.
The exhibition is co-curated by Ken McCluskey.
The book ‘What Presence!’ published last year by Polygon is available in the library.
Hillhead Library, 348 Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8AP
This section: Art - what's on, Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Claiming Back the Narrative, Refugee Week Scotland 2019
- Summer Time, Summer Place Thistle Gallery
- Maker And Producer (sustainable textiles)
- DEGREE SHOW Glasgow School of Art 2019
- Glasgow School of Art Master of Fine Art Degree Show 2019
- Fashion Design Students Showcase Degree Show 2019
- Mackintosh Still Life Drawing
- Patrick McAlindon at The Glasgow Guild
- Rhona Mühlebach Loch Long Solo Exhibition GFT
- Thistle Gallery: Vibrant Show Celebrates The Coming of Spring