Great day out at Wilton Street Gala, West End Festival, 2015
What a lovely afternoon I had today (13 June, 2015) at Wilton Street Gala. I went along with my friend, Maggie Graham, and my grandson, Ryan, and although the sun didn’t shine, the atmosphere was great.
The locals had pulled together to make the most of their lush community gardens to create the perfect venue. The stalls were intriguing and varied with beautiful plants, handcrafted pottery, bric a brac and some amazing retro and vintage jewellery – courtesy of my good friend Lala Manning (Check out her Facebook shop) – I bought a gorgeous bracelet with green Aventurine stones.
We spent ages browsing and I took home some very hardy looking tomato plants. I particularly enjoyed looking through boxes of beautiful buttons at the Mary’s Meals Stall. Eventually I selected a couple of dozen – sold to me by Mrs Honey – her son Christopher was simultaneously belting out a very catchy number in the entertainment tent. The duo, who where performing when we arrived, were very talented – Maggie persuaded us to hang around and listen to the Sirens of Titan choir before we left. Smart move – they were in very good voice.
We were lucky enough to find a handy bench to sit and relax, drink our coffee, eat our barbecued burgers and people watch. We were particularly tickled by the very hard working little girls running the nail bar and the fabulous stall with all the china coffee pots, 50s and 60s crockery and a huge jelly pan.
Linda McLaughlin, West End actor and writer was rushed off her feet, and did an excellent job at the cake stall – the home baking was delicious. We had a wee flutter at the raffle. No luck but a very good cause supporting Wilton Street Gardens.
I wouldn’t mind living up there.
Pat Byrne, June, 2015
This section: West End Festival 2015
Filed under: West End Festival 2015
- Clydeside Open Art Show – Submission Now Open
- West End Festival’s Electric Gardens 13 November – 6 December, 2015
- West End Festival Closing Concert, Kelvingrove Bandstand Sun 28 June, 2015
- Crime After Dark With Caro Ramsay Oran Mor Tuesday 23 June, 2015
- New Writer Showcase Oran Mor Monday 22 June, 2015
- FORK Summer Gala Saturday 20th June, 2015
- Children’s Events West End Festival 2015
- IAIN FORBES + KING OF BIRDS + CHLOE MARIE, CC Music Shop, Sunday 21 June, 2015
- Street Festival, Queen Margaret Drive, 21 June, 2015
- Raintown at CC Music Shop – West End Festival
- Elaine C Smith and Christina Dunwoodie: Torch Song Divas, Websters Theatre, 19/20 June, 2015
- Sol Summer Season of Classic Cuts at Òran Mór, Until 20th June, 2015
- Vintage Bus Service, West End Festival, 28 June, 2015
- Great day out at Wilton Street Gala, West End Festival, 2015
- Glasgow Mela 25th Anniversary Sunday 14th June, 2015
- Bard in the Botanics: Love’s Labour’s Lost, West End Festival 24 – 27 June, 2015
- West End Science 13 June, 2015
- Read It In A Different Language The Language Hub Children’s Bookshop Sunday 14 June 2015
- Na Neonachain: Alien’s Love Underpants (3-5 yrs) An Lèanag, Saturday 20 June, 2015
- Benefit in aid of Cosgrove Care, 17 June, 2015, The Stand