Good to Go Scheme, Zero Waste Scotland
Ask for your doggie bag when dining out in Scotland.
The Good to Go scheme is being run by Zero Waste Scotland with the backing of the Scottish Government. Launched to tackle ‘plate waste’ from restaurants and to change the culture around leftovers – making it normal to take food home after a meal.
‘Food waste is a major issue, which costs the Scottish hospitality industry an estimated £64 million a year. Our research estimates that around 53,500 tonnes of food is wasted from Scottish restaurants each year, and that two-thirds of this could have been avoided. 34% of this good food is estimated to be ‘plate waste’ – food left over at the end of the meal. The Good to Go pilot showed that if restaurants across Scotland routinely offered doggy bags to customers, it could save the equivalent of 800,000 full meals going in the bin every year.
Providing take-home boxes, or ‘doggy bags’ is a simple way to reduce this waste, whilst also offering customers an enhanced service by enabling them to take uneaten food home to enjoy later. Our research has shown that while customers overwhelmingly want to be offered ‘doggy bags’, two fifths (42%) are currently too embarrassed to ask for one.’
So don’t be embarrassed and don’t waste food.
This section: Eating and drinking Glasgow West End
Filed under: Eating and drinking Glasgow West End
- Mother India Glasgow – early evening and lunch menu
- Eusebi – enjoy a lovely Mother’s Day in Glasgow West End
- Mother’s Day 2018 at Leiper’s Attic
- Mother India – A La Carte Menu
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Beefcake Cafe, Anniesland
- Eusebi Valentine’s Day Menu, 2018
- Leiper’s Attic at Cottiers, Pre-theatre Menu 2018
- Valentine’s Day Menu 2018, The Square, Broomhill
- Valentine’s Day in Glasgow – Deal at Greggs
- Just for the lassies – Gaia Burns Supper, Glasgow
- Classrooms for Malawi, Burns Supper, Glasgow
- Celebrate Burns Day at Eusebi, Park Road
- Big Feed Street Social Glasgow 27 -28 January, 2017
- Burns Night at Cottiers
- Burns Supper, OranMor, Glasgow
- Reggae Burns Night, The Rum Shack Glasgow
- Finsbay Burns Night Fundraiser
- A Celebration of the Isle of Harris Gin at Finsbay
- Ashton Lane Hogmanay Street Party 2017