Glasgow Writer: Stephanie Brown
Stephanie Brown works as a freelance copywriter and subtitler. She is a graduate of the Glasgow Uni Creative Writing MLitt. In 204, she was shortlisted for The Sceptre prize in 2014.
Her work has been published in ‘From Glasgow To Saturn’, ‘Gutter Magazine’ – The Magazine of New Scottish Writing and on the website www.glasgowwestend.co.uk
Stephanie is one of the writers taking part in the Ten Writers Telling Lies Project – where ten of Glasgow’s most talented writers have got together with the musician Jim Byrne, to produce a book and CD. The product will be launched in 2017. You can catch a preview at the West End Festival 2016.
Example of Stephanie’s writing.
Linda wanted something of her own to love, so badly. She had never had anything, not even a cat or a hamster. Once she had fallen hard for a chinchilla in a pet shop. It was ‘filthy,’ according to her mother.
She thought it would help to become a midwife but it only made the hole in her heart seem larger. It was as though she had stuck her finger in it and wiggled it around. Each new baby that was born was a fresh poke around.
Jimmy did his best; they both did. Being upside down was useless, Manuka honey was a rip-off, and the ovulation calculator was obviously broken. There was one last thing that might work, so why not try it?
That day, Linda made sure she was the one to take charge of the medical waste bin. She wheeled it off casually in the direction of the incinerator, and once she knew she was in a camera blind-spot, she whipped open the lid and nestled the bag of pink slime to her bosom. Later that night, she made a lasagne. She had seen this done on the television channel Really. Jimmy even tried a bit. He said it was ‘no bad, but a bit spicy.’
This section: writers
Filed under: writers
- Denise Mina: Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Kevin Scott
- Glasgow Writers: Alistair Braidwood – Scots Whay Hae!
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Glasgow Writers: Graeme Macrae Burnet
- The Garngad: Heaven and Hell by Ian R. Mitchell
- Glasgow Writer: Stuart Cosgrove
- West Texas Highs; Be In Your Own Movie by Ian R. Mitchell
- Glasgow Writer: James Connarty
- Glasgow Writer: Stephanie Brown
- Glasgow Writer: Samina Chaudry
- Glasgow Writers: Willy Maley
- Glasgow Writers: Stephen Watt, Poet
- Glasgow Writers: Pauline Lynch
- Glasgow Writer: Micheal Norton
- Glasgow Writers: Phil Murnin
- The Carbeth Clearances
- Phil Murnin: Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Gillian Mayes
- Glasgow Writers: James Carson