Glasgow Stands With Pulse Orlando Vigil in George Square Monday, 13 June, 2016 – 5.30 – 6.30 p.m.
Glasgow Stands With Pulse Orlando
Vigil in George Square
Monday, 13 June, 2016 – 5.30 – 6.30 p.m.
‘With the tragic news of the shooting at the gay club Pulse in Orlando, we’re holding a vigil in George Square tomorrow evening to show our support for LGBTQ people worldwide, and to provide a space for us to mourn with our community.
This attack is a reflection of the violence LGBTQ people face daily, not just in the US but across the world, and this violence feels personal for many of us. This was a hate crime against our community, and an extension of the messages that we hear daily that we should not be visible, we should not be out, we should not exist.
There has already been attempts to blame Islam for this violence, and it’s especially important that we come together to condemn this racist scapegoating, and stand with our Muslim LGBTQ siblings. There’s been an increase in anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and legislation from the GOP, and its there we should be looking for the root causes of the problem, which are the deep-seated homophobia and transphobia in our societies.
The inclusive support of our whole community, and of the wider Glasgow community, is vital as we mourn the loss of so many lives, and continue to fight the bigotry that allows such attacks to happen in the first place.’
George Square, Glasgow G1
One response to “Glasgow Stands With Pulse Orlando Vigil in George Square Monday, 13 June, 2016 – 5.30 – 6.30 p.m.”
- Michael Simons at Partick Folk Club
- Free event: Scottish Writers Showcase, University of Glasgow
- Book Launch: Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- Leto GFT
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood GFT
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Inside Man GFT
- Gaza GFT
- Preview: For Sama GFT plus Q & A
- Matchbox Cineclub Weird Weekend at CCA Glasgow
- Canada Now, GFT
- Wilkie’s World, Websters Theatre
- Take One Action, GFT
- Transit GFT
- Preview: Hoop Dreams, GFT
- Extinction Rebellion Climate Carnival Renfrewshire
- Book Launch: A City of Segregation CCA
- Yellow Road – Folk on the Fringe