Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
Glasgow Roma Traveller History Month
Saturday, 15 June, 2019, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
CCA, 350 Sachiehall Street, G2 3JD
Ando Glaso and Romano Lav invite you to a presentation by photographer Jeremy Sutton-Hibbert followed by a performance by Romane Cierhenia to Celebrate GRT History Month.
Satra, the Roma of Sintesti
Between 1990 and 1997, and then again in 2004 and 2006, Jeremy Sutton-Hibbert photographed the Roma people of Sintesti, Romania. The camp is home to approximately 1,000 Kalderari Roma, predominantly metal workers by tradition. Once nomadic, they now live in Sintesti, scorned by neighboring Romanians, and for many years they have been looked upon as a source of trouble and annoyance.
Sutton-Hibbert recorded daily life, festivities, traditions, and the working lifestyle of the Roma. It was a time of substantial change in the post-Communist era; new business opportunities were opening up and new influences were arriving in the country from the West. It seemed an important time to photograph this community as they faced the challenges this new era brought them, a time of preserving their traditions while adapting to the new.
Sutton-Hibbert’s photos of this community in 2004 and 2006 reflected the significant material and cultural changes and challenges brought by the economic fortunes these people found through their hard work in the scrap-metal business. Western influences and prosperous stability stood in tension with longstanding traditions, their nomadic heritage, and the differing desires between generations and genders.
The presentation will be followed by a performance of a Polish Roma family of musicians. Over the years they became one of the most sought after performers of authentic Polish Gypsy music in Scotland. These fiery musicians and dancers will get you on your feet!
- Britain on Film: Welcome to Britain plus Q & A GFT
- Love Me or Leave Me, GFT
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow
- The Captor, GFT
- The Thursday Show at The Stand, West End Festival 2019
- A Stab in the Dark : Murder on Byres Road West End Festival 2019
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Julia Donaldson – The Gruffalo and other stories at West End Festival
- Dusty Won’t Play at OranMor, West End Festival
- Rab Noakes, Websters 2
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- Ceilidh Dances at Cottiers, West End Festival 2019
- Aye Write! presents Jane Harper
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- Beatson Cancer Charity Gin and Sing, Bohemian Rhapsody
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival