Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
Glasgow Roma Traveller History Month
Saturday, 15 June, 2019, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
CCA, 350 Sachiehall Street, G2 3JD
Ando Glaso and Romano Lav invite you to a presentation by photographer Jeremy Sutton-Hibbert followed by a performance by Romane Cierhenia to Celebrate GRT History Month.
Satra, the Roma of Sintesti
Between 1990 and 1997, and then again in 2004 and 2006, Jeremy Sutton-Hibbert photographed the Roma people of Sintesti, Romania. The camp is home to approximately 1,000 Kalderari Roma, predominantly metal workers by tradition. Once nomadic, they now live in Sintesti, scorned by neighboring Romanians, and for many years they have been looked upon as a source of trouble and annoyance.
Sutton-Hibbert recorded daily life, festivities, traditions, and the working lifestyle of the Roma. It was a time of substantial change in the post-Communist era; new business opportunities were opening up and new influences were arriving in the country from the West. It seemed an important time to photograph this community as they faced the challenges this new era brought them, a time of preserving their traditions while adapting to the new.
Sutton-Hibbert’s photos of this community in 2004 and 2006 reflected the significant material and cultural changes and challenges brought by the economic fortunes these people found through their hard work in the scrap-metal business. Western influences and prosperous stability stood in tension with longstanding traditions, their nomadic heritage, and the differing desires between generations and genders.
The presentation will be followed by a performance of a Polish Roma family of musicians. Over the years they became one of the most sought after performers of authentic Polish Gypsy music in Scotland. These fiery musicians and dancers will get you on your feet!
- Festa Dos Anos De Álvero De Campos Cheeky Besom Productions
- Getting Ready For The Mod at Kelvin Hall
- Edwyn Collins QMU Glasgow
- Pain and Glory, GFT
- A Faithful Man, GFT
- Chic-raq GFT
- Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Propaganda – Indie Club Night, QMU
- Through Black Spruce, GFT
- BlacKkKlansman, GFT
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- G20 Festival GBX Fundraiser
- Matchbox Cineclub Weird Weekend at CCA Glasgow
- Starry Skies, Warren and Heather at Old Hairdressers
- Glasgow Doors Open Day Kelvin Hall 2019
- Gaza GFT
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Clydebuilt Festival Dragon Boat Race
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Walk in James Watt’s Footsteps