Glasgow International: Exhibition Aleksandra Domanovic, GOMA, 4 – 21st April, 2014
Date: 04 Apr – 21 Apr
Aleksandra Domanović’s work looks at the history and development of technology through a gender-conscious lens. Her work specifically focuses the point at which machine meets, interfaces and touches the human user.
In her first institutional solo exhibition in the UK, Domanović focuses on the figure of the lone female cosmonaut, exploring the marginalised representation of women within popular science fiction and time travel. Using the building’s position and architectural features, Domanović has re-contextualised the gallery as a time-less survival pod, inhabitable during the day. Outside of gallery opening hours the glowing sculptures can be viewed from the outside, creating a beacon to passers-by.
Domanović merges the stellar narrative with an abstracted history of the former tobacco merchant’s house, exploring its position as an erstwhile telephone exchange and connecting us with its female ‘computers’.
Commissioned by Glasgow International and supported by The Henry Moore Foundation.
This section: Art - what's on, Glasgow International Festival April 2014
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh: Making the Glasgow Style
- Henry Raeburn’s ‘Boy and Rabbit’ at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- can’t take my eyes off you – ProjectAbility
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017