Glasgow International: Exhibition Aleksandra Domanovic, GOMA, 4 – 21st April, 2014
Date: 04 Apr – 21 Apr
Aleksandra Domanović’s work looks at the history and development of technology through a gender-conscious lens. Her work specifically focuses the point at which machine meets, interfaces and touches the human user.
In her first institutional solo exhibition in the UK, Domanović focuses on the figure of the lone female cosmonaut, exploring the marginalised representation of women within popular science fiction and time travel. Using the building’s position and architectural features, Domanović has re-contextualised the gallery as a time-less survival pod, inhabitable during the day. Outside of gallery opening hours the glowing sculptures can be viewed from the outside, creating a beacon to passers-by.
Domanović merges the stellar narrative with an abstracted history of the former tobacco merchant’s house, exploring its position as an erstwhile telephone exchange and connecting us with its female ‘computers’.
Commissioned by Glasgow International and supported by The Henry Moore Foundation.
This section: Art - what's on, Glasgow International Festival April 2014
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Claiming Back the Narrative, Refugee Week Scotland 2019
- Summer Time, Summer Place Thistle Gallery
- Maker And Producer (sustainable textiles)
- DEGREE SHOW Glasgow School of Art 2019
- Glasgow School of Art Master of Fine Art Degree Show 2019
- Fashion Design Students Showcase Degree Show 2019
- Mackintosh Still Life Drawing
- Patrick McAlindon at The Glasgow Guild
- Rhona Mühlebach Loch Long Solo Exhibition GFT
- Thistle Gallery: Vibrant Show Celebrates The Coming of Spring