Glasgow International: Exhibition Aleksandra Domanovic, GOMA, 4 – 21st April, 2014
Date: 04 Apr – 21 Apr
Aleksandra Domanović’s work looks at the history and development of technology through a gender-conscious lens. Her work specifically focuses the point at which machine meets, interfaces and touches the human user.
In her first institutional solo exhibition in the UK, Domanović focuses on the figure of the lone female cosmonaut, exploring the marginalised representation of women within popular science fiction and time travel. Using the building’s position and architectural features, Domanović has re-contextualised the gallery as a time-less survival pod, inhabitable during the day. Outside of gallery opening hours the glowing sculptures can be viewed from the outside, creating a beacon to passers-by.
Domanović merges the stellar narrative with an abstracted history of the former tobacco merchant’s house, exploring its position as an erstwhile telephone exchange and connecting us with its female ‘computers’.
Commissioned by Glasgow International and supported by The Henry Moore Foundation.
This section: Art - what's on, Glasgow International Festival April 2014
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017
- ProjectAbility Pop Up Shop orignal arts and crafts, Nov/Dec, 2017
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Exhibition in Napier Hall, 20 – 22 October, 2017
- Easing into Autumn With ‘Seven of Seven’, Thistle Gallery from 19 October, 2017 until end of the month.
- Scotland’s Own Coinage, The Hunterian, From 3 October 2017
- Glasgow Society of Women Artists at the Lillie Gallery, 7th October – 2nd November 2017
- A Synchronology: the contemporary and other times, Hunterian Art Gallery, 27 October 2017 – 28 January 2018
- Mackintosh Club, Helensburgh, Mackintosh Festival 2017
- Family Ties, Thistle Gallery, 30 September – 15 October, 2017