A Glasgow Graduate from Syria – Summer 2016
This isn’t a story as such but a sharing of a pleasant and thought provoking event.
Today I met my friend Issi for a little catch up before the holidays. I’m a bit nosy and having had many years of close ties with the University of Glasgow – as a mature, more mature and getting-on-a-bit student – I find it hard to hold back from asking questions, when I see someone in the West End dressed in a kilt, clutching a scroll and accompanied by well dressed companions.
Just such a group sat beside us in Smug Cafe in Great George Street. They needed some extra chairs so we had a bit of shuffling around and then I asked the kiltie if he’d just graduated. Of course, he had, as B.Sc. in Astrophysics. He didn’t say but he must have gained a very good degree as he’s now heading off to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to study for a doctorate.
In June in Glasgow West End you can meet any number of groups brought together to celebrate graduations. These people had traveled from Newcastle and Sweden to celebrate their brother’s achievement – the beautiful little girl was shy and sweet. She’d been born in Glasgow. It was a pleasure to meet Husni and his family from Syria.
Sharing this snapshot of happiness was poignant and uplifting,
There’s turmoil in our country with all the recent chicanery, odious political bullying, xenophobia and economic uncertainty that we’ve been experiencing – it’s nothing compared to Syria.
Pat Byrne, 28 June, 2016.
This section: Seasonal Stories and Poems by Glasgow Writers, Writing
- The Big Chair – Autumn Voices – Robin Lloyd-Jones
- The Last Leaf – a poem for Autumn by Catriona Malan
- Summering by Nina Quigley
- A Summer Story – Full Circle by Leela Soma
- Mary Irvine: The Whistle
- Shy Wolf by Nina Quigley
- Summer Reality – two poems by Brian Whittingham
- A Summer Poem: White Nights by Finola Scott
- Summer poem: Eurus/Zephyrus/Notus and Rainbows by K.A. McCafferty
- Summer Poem: Eurus/Zephyrus/Notus and Rainbows by K.A.McCafferty
- A Glasgow Graduate from Syria – Summer 2016
- 1816 – The Year of No Summer by Mary Irvine