Glasgow Gigs: The Hellfire Club,Les Johnson and Me, The Zips, Saturday 8th March, 2014
After a long break ‘With The Hellfire Club’ returns to the Griffin bar on Saturday 8 March, and we felt we couldn’t ignore the sad death of Lou Reed last October without paying tribute to the great American song writer. So for this first event of 2014 some of Reed’s songs will feature in both our own and our guest artists’ sets. Speaking of which, we are very pleased to announce that on the 8th will be joined by the splendid Les Johnson and Me and the punktastic The Zips.
The voice of Les Johnson and Me is described as “somewhere between gentleman Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash and Tenessee Ernie Ford with a distinctly Glaswegian twang”. Their debut album, 15 Hands, is due out very soon, but two tracks are available for immediate download at http://lesjohnsonandme.bandcamp.com/. We can’t wait to hear their distinctive brand of American roots music performed live and in the flesh.
The Zips are one of Glasgow’s original punk bands. Formed in 1978, they initially split-up in 1981, but, having reformed in 2001, they continue to be very active throughout the European punk scene. Their last album, 19 Forevva, is available on the Tenement Toons label (TEN19) and at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thezips1. Though the band perform as a four-piece with bass and drums, it is likely that for their appearance on the 8th they will take a more stripped-back, but just as compelling, acoustic approach.
Remember, as we have continued to keep the entry price at a bargain £3 please come early if you want a table.
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Edwyn Collins QMU Glasgow
- Propaganda – Indie Club Night, QMU
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- G20 Festival GBX Fundraiser
- Starry Skies, Warren and Heather at Old Hairdressers
- Broken Chanter Album Launch, CCA
- Michael Simons at Partick Folk Club
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Yellow Road – Folk on the Fringe
- Barras Fest Glasgow 2019
- Twilight in the Crypt Glasgow Cathedral Festival
- Glasgow R&B Society: Rab Noakes & Fraser Speirs Cottiers
- No Serco Evictions Fundraiser at McChuills
- The Scottish Fiddle Orchestra – Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
- JJ Gilmour and Adriana Spina at CCA
- Music Broth Summer Fundraising Gig
- The Blue Arrow 59:60 Celebrating the Year that Changed Jazz
- Farzane Zamen in Concert
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Songs of Love and Freedom, Kelvingrove Bandstand