Glasgow Doors Open Days Glasgow School of Art, Restoring Mackintosh Building, 11 September 2017
Conservation Philosophy: A case study – The Mackintosh Building Restoration Project
The Glasgow School of Art
11 September, 2017
167 Renfrew Street
Glasgow G3 6RQ
A lecture and panel talk discussing the conservation philosophy guiding the work undertaken to conserve, restore and rebuild the Mackintosh Building, returning it to use as a working art school.
The Mackintosh Building inhabited since its construction by The Glasgow School of Art is widely recognised as a work of art in its own right. Through its many years of use the building has developed a unique patina and undergone a number of alterations and additions.
The recent fire and subsequent restoration raises a number of considerations concerning the integrity of the original design, the history of the building and its adaption for future use.
This lecture and panel talk is an opportunity to discuss this ever present dichotomy facing the conservation and restoration of buildings in use drawing on the unique and precious Mackintosh Building as a case study.
- Only You GFT
- Dark Vanilla Jungle Websters
- Scarred GFT
- The Brink GFT
- Eureka GFT
- Pavarotti plus satellite Q & A GFT
- Blinded by the Light at Glasgow Film Theatre
- In Conversation with Gurinder Chadha GFT
- Armstrong GFT
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Farzane Zamen in Concert
- Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese GFT
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Of Fish and Foe GFT
- Special Events at Glasgow Film Theatre July 2019
- African Film Touring Programme Summer 2019
- Midsommar GFT
- Young at Heart Dance for Over 50s
- Matchbox Cineclub + Sad Girl Cinema Der Fan
- UKJF: Inside the Mossad CCA Glasgow