Gifts for the Gods: Animal Mummies Revealed, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
14 May – 4 September 2016
Unravel the mystery of Ancient Egyptian animal mummies.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG
From crocodiles to cats and jackals to birds, discover how the Egyptians used the animal mummies as gifts for the gods.The exhibition explores how Egyptians believed that animals could pass between the worlds of humans and gods and that by using animals – pictures, bronze statues or mummies – they could communicate with the gods.
Discover why animals were so important to the Egyptians and what lies beneath the bandages of the mummies through X-rays and CT scans. Find out how Victorian explorers led in the discovery, excavation, collection and research into this little known subject.
£5/£3 Under 16s FREE
Animal Mummies – Workshops for Kids
Sat 11 & Sun 12 June, 2016 -1.30-4pm \ FREE, drop in
The Ancient Egyptians were a pretty gory lot! Learn about mummification and the death rituals of the Ancient Egyptians. Fun, hands-on activity suitable for all the family.
Where to stay in Glasgow:
If you’re coming to Glasgow as a Tourist – The Kelvin Hotel is a great place to stay – handy for Kelvingrove and if you intend exploring all the attractions of Glasgow’s West End.
- Only You GFT
- Dark Vanilla Jungle Websters
- Scarred GFT
- The Brink GFT
- Eureka GFT
- Pavarotti plus satellite Q & A GFT
- Blinded by the Light at Glasgow Film Theatre
- In Conversation with Gurinder Chadha GFT
- Armstrong GFT
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Farzane Zamen in Concert
- Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese GFT
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Of Fish and Foe GFT
- Special Events at Glasgow Film Theatre July 2019
- African Film Touring Programme Summer 2019
- Midsommar GFT
- Young at Heart Dance for Over 50s
- Matchbox Cineclub + Sad Girl Cinema Der Fan
- UKJF: Inside the Mossad CCA Glasgow