Gifts for the Gods: Animal Mummies Revealed, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
14 May – 4 September 2016
Unravel the mystery of Ancient Egyptian animal mummies.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG
From crocodiles to cats and jackals to birds, discover how the Egyptians used the animal mummies as gifts for the gods.The exhibition explores how Egyptians believed that animals could pass between the worlds of humans and gods and that by using animals – pictures, bronze statues or mummies – they could communicate with the gods.
Discover why animals were so important to the Egyptians and what lies beneath the bandages of the mummies through X-rays and CT scans. Find out how Victorian explorers led in the discovery, excavation, collection and research into this little known subject.
£5/£3 Under 16s FREE
Animal Mummies – Workshops for Kids
Sat 11 & Sun 12 June, 2016 -1.30-4pm \ FREE, drop in
The Ancient Egyptians were a pretty gory lot! Learn about mummification and the death rituals of the Ancient Egyptians. Fun, hands-on activity suitable for all the family.
Where to stay in Glasgow:
If you’re coming to Glasgow as a Tourist – The Kelvin Hotel is a great place to stay – handy for Kelvingrove and if you intend exploring all the attractions of Glasgow’s West End.
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh: Making the Glasgow Style
- Henry Raeburn’s ‘Boy and Rabbit’ at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- can’t take my eyes off you – ProjectAbility
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017