Gifts for the Gods: Animal Mummies Revealed, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
14 May – 4 September 2016
Unravel the mystery of Ancient Egyptian animal mummies.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG
From crocodiles to cats and jackals to birds, discover how the Egyptians used the animal mummies as gifts for the gods.The exhibition explores how Egyptians believed that animals could pass between the worlds of humans and gods and that by using animals – pictures, bronze statues or mummies – they could communicate with the gods.
Discover why animals were so important to the Egyptians and what lies beneath the bandages of the mummies through X-rays and CT scans. Find out how Victorian explorers led in the discovery, excavation, collection and research into this little known subject.
£5/£3 Under 16s FREE
Animal Mummies – Workshops for Kids
Sat 11 & Sun 12 June, 2016 -1.30-4pm \ FREE, drop in
The Ancient Egyptians were a pretty gory lot! Learn about mummification and the death rituals of the Ancient Egyptians. Fun, hands-on activity suitable for all the family.
Where to stay in Glasgow:
If you’re coming to Glasgow as a Tourist – The Kelvin Hotel is a great place to stay – handy for Kelvingrove and if you intend exploring all the attractions of Glasgow’s West End.
- Denise Noone Bathing Bells at Govanhill Baths review by Pat Byrne
- Introduction to Study at Glasgow School of Art
- Brushes With War, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Bathing Bells Exhibition, Govanhill Baths
- Young Talent Exhibition, ProjectAbility Glasgow
- Shaping Their World, Thistle Gallery
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Museums at Night, Glasgow, October, 2018
- Women’s Suffrage in Glasgow Exhibition, The Mitchell
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Cryptic Sonica in Glasgow 2018 – Portal, Pivot and Visaurihelix
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- HYPERMARKET – ART CAR BOOT, SWG3 2018
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Summer Show 2018, Ardarden Farm Shop
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend