Fun at the West End Festival 2018
(Pat and Taylor Wilson – launch of West End Festival 2018)
The weather forecast was for thunder and rain but this afternoon was warm and sunny so I caught some of the outdoor events at the West End Festival.
Wilton Street Garden Party
Wilton Street Garden Party was in full swing when I arrived with lots of families enjoying the music, stalls, home baking and BBQ. I bought a blue calendula from the actress and playwright, Linda McLaughlin, who will be performing at Bard in the Botanics.
I picked up some great retro earrings for £2 and some hand crafted cards – apparently the art of quilling (curling paper) is making a comeback.
Coach House Family Fun Day
I wandered down Belmont Street to the Coach House Trust, where the party was in full swing. Andy Flett and his band of musicians from the project kept the crowd very happy playing their original foot tapping songs.
I enjoyed a chat with Chiara Beradelli, a musician who volunteers at the project. Chiara will be running song writing workshops at the West End Festival at Ha’penny Bridge House on Saturday 16 June.
I had a walk along Great Western Road and popped into Bleu-Door the lovely beauty and skincare shop at Kelvinbridge. I’ve been invited to come along for a complimentary facial so will look forward to that. I picked up a coffee at Sonny and Vitos Park Road and had a chat with Annemarie Pelosi then called into the Thistle Gallery
Ten Writers Telling Lies Book and CD
There’s an exhibition on during the West End Festival, The Art of Words, with special events on 7th June and 14 June, 2018 Participating are the writers Graeme Macrae Burnet and Carl MacDougall with poetry from Gillean McDougall of Honest Error plus writers from Ten Writers Telling Lies will be reading from the book, these include Samina Chaudry, James Connarty, Gillian Mayes, Micheal Norton and I’ll be there on 14th. I was thrilled to see our book and cd on display.
The Gallery is looking amazing and I enjoyed catching up with the gallery owner Carol Dunbar, her daugher Becca and the artist Jackie Henderson. A fabulous painting by Jackie is the fabulous raffle price.
I couldn’t be in Kelvinbridge without picking up something delicious from Eusebi, the fabulous restaurant and deli – Jim and I are planning to have brunch there tomorrow. I chatted with new staff member, Catherine, who is loving her job, and Giovanna Eusebi. Giovanna recently featured in one of our Podcasts.
Jim and Pat’s West End Chat (Podcasts) – where we have been chatting to a varied range of very interesting people, as well as updating you on what I’ve been up to, are proving to be very popular.
Last night I interviewed the writer Claire McCleary in The Chip and Jim recently caught up with Eva Bolander, Glasgow’s Provost, Professor Gerard Carruthers, Director Robert Burns Unit, University of Glasgow, Francesca Waddell, fashion illustrator. You’ll be able to listen to these podcasts very soon.
West End Festival
The West End Festival continues until 30 June with a fantastic programme of events. I’ve posted about West End Festival highlights and will keep updating. Tomorrow I’m going to catch Ashton Lane and Vinicombe Street Parties. I would particularly recommend The Museum of the Moon.
Have a listen to Podcast with Michael Dale, Director of West End Festival
Enjoy the festival.
Pat Byrne, 2 June, 2018
This section: Pat's Home Page Blog, West End Festival Glasgow
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Advocating for a Basic Income – West End Festival
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival
- West End Shop Fronts, Virtual Tour Kelvin Hall
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Dusty Won’t Play at OranMor, West End Festival
- Paintings on Railings West End Festival
- SambaYaBamba & Friends West End Festival 2019
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- Glasgow Botanic Gardens: 200 Years at West End Festival 2019
- The Store Interiors, Anniesland, Glasgow
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Ceilidh Dances at Cottiers, West End Festival 2019
- Last Tango In Little Titwood West End Festival
- Wilton Street Garden Fete
- Ida Tamson at OranMor – West End Festival
- Da Capo Alba guitar and mandolin orchestra Cottiers
- Arlington Baths at West End Festival 2019