Fun at the West End Festival 2018
(Pat and Taylor Wilson – launch of West End Festival 2018)
The weather forecast was for thunder and rain but this afternoon was warm and sunny so I caught some of the outdoor events at the West End Festival.
Wilton Street Garden Party
Wilton Street Garden Party was in full swing when I arrived with lots of families enjoying the music, stalls, home baking and BBQ. I bought a blue calendula from the actress and playwright, Linda McLaughlin, who will be performing at Bard in the Botanics.
I picked up some great retro earrings for £2 and some hand crafted cards – apparently the art of quilling (curling paper) is making a comeback.
Coach House Family Fun Day
I wandered down Belmont Street to the Coach House Trust, where the party was in full swing. Andy Flett and his band of musicians from the project kept the crowd very happy playing their original foot tapping songs.
I enjoyed a chat with Chiara Beradelli, a musician who volunteers at the project. Chiara will be running song writing workshops at the West End Festival at Ha’penny Bridge House on Saturday 16 June.
I had a walk along Great Western Road and popped into Bleu-Door the lovely beauty and skincare shop at Kelvinbridge. I’ve been invited to come along for a complimentary facial so will look forward to that. I picked up a coffee at Sonny and Vitos Park Road and had a chat with Annemarie Pelosi then called into the Thistle Gallery
Ten Writers Telling Lies Book and CD
There’s an exhibition on during the West End Festival, The Art of Words, with special events on 7th June and 14 June, 2018 Participating are the writers Graeme Macrae Burnet and Carl MacDougall with poetry from Gillean McDougall of Honest Error plus writers from Ten Writers Telling Lies will be reading from the book, these include Samina Chaudry, James Connarty, Gillian Mayes, Micheal Norton and I’ll be there on 14th. I was thrilled to see our book and cd on display.
The Gallery is looking amazing and I enjoyed catching up with the gallery owner Carol Dunbar, her daugher Becca and the artist Jackie Henderson. A fabulous painting by Jackie is the fabulous raffle price.
I couldn’t be in Kelvinbridge without picking up something delicious from Eusebi, the fabulous restaurant and deli – Jim and I are planning to have brunch there tomorrow. I chatted with new staff member, Catherine, who is loving her job, and Giovanna Eusebi. Giovanna recently featured in one of our Podcasts.
Jim and Pat’s West End Chat (Podcasts) – where we have been chatting to a varied range of very interesting people, as well as updating you on what I’ve been up to, are proving to be very popular.
Last night I interviewed the writer Claire McCleary in The Chip and Jim recently caught up with Eva Bolander, Glasgow’s Provost, Professor Gerard Carruthers, Director Robert Burns Unit, University of Glasgow, Francesca Waddell, fashion illustrator. You’ll be able to listen to these podcasts very soon.
West End Festival
The West End Festival continues until 30 June with a fantastic programme of events. I’ve posted about West End Festival highlights and will keep updating. Tomorrow I’m going to catch Ashton Lane and Vinicombe Street Parties. I would particularly recommend The Museum of the Moon.
Have a listen to Podcast with Michael Dale, Director of West End Festival
Enjoy the festival.
Pat Byrne, 2 June, 2018
This section: Pat's Home Page Blog, West End Festival Glasgow
- Family Carol Service, University of Glasgow Chapel
- The Store Interiors, Anniesland, Glasgow
- ‘Unwrapped’ Show at The Thistle Gallery 2018
- Falling Leaves Exhibition at The Thistle Gallery
- Autumn Season,2018, Play, Pie, Pint at OranMor
- ‘Young Solitude’ Review by Lola Rose
- Denise Noone Bathing Bells at Govanhill Baths review by Pat Byrne
- Conscious Catwalk, Fundraiser, Kinning Park Complex
- Scotland’s Food and Drink Fortnight 2018
- Starry Skies Album Launch, OranMor Review by Pat Byrne
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Brooks Williams Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival, 10 Anniversary Edition Programme (2018)
- Social Bite – Sleep in the Park – Tackling Homelessness in Scotland
- Glasgow European Championships 2018
- Cranhill Carmen, OranMor, West End Festival 2018
- Glasgow Mela 2018
- Willow Bank Bowling Club Summer Fete, West End Festival 2018
- West End Festival Summer Programme 2018
- The Great Street Play and The Big Lunch, Queen Margaret Drive, West End Festival 2018