Frohe Weihnachten – a Christmas Poem by Brian Whittingham
FROHE WEIHNACHTEN (My Christmas poem for friends old and new.)
On Christmas Eve, mum softly sang Stille Nacht.
Busy with final preparations.
Scotch pine, I recall her telling dad.
Best for keeping its needles.
She clipped red candles onto green sprigs,
placed small bowls of walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts
at the base of the tree.
A plate of Gingerbread treats for the reindeer.
A glass of schnapps for Santa.
Dad lit the candles … switched off the lights.
The small white flames flickered.
The coal fire spat, crackled, yellow-red.
The radio for company till bedtime
when the cuckoo-clock’s pine-cone weights
would be adjusted by dad.
I’d snuggle under my continental quilt,
the only one in our street.
In the morning the treats and schnapps were gone.
Frohe Weihnachten, mum would say, giving me a hug.
And of the presents left under the tree
my favourites were the books.
Usually an annual, The Broons, Oor Wullie,
The Beano or the Dandy
and their heady scent of newness.
But once, it was Around the World in Eighty Days.
A first hardback with an orange paper cover.
We’d listened to it on the radio weeks before.
Each week a different journey.
I remember the cracking of the spine.
The intoxicating smell
and the blackest of black-ink drawings.
Brian Whittingham, December 2015
Love Poems & Stories
- The Fortune Teller by Pat Byrne
- Christmas Day – a story by Cornelius Doherty
- Seasons Greetings from Stef Shaw The Glasgow Cabbie
- Some Wintertime Poems by Finola Scott
- I Deserve This – a poem for Christmas by Calum Maclean
- ‘Between Christmas and the year you never knew’ by Stephen Watt
- Hopes and Fears by James Connarty
- Playing Cards by Pat Byrne
- Merry Christmas from Scuffer Airways by James Carson
- Christmas Chocolate Log with Irish Cream Filling by Mags McGrath
- Dear Diary by Paul Wright
- Ruby saves the day by Gillian Mayes
- Ice on Loch Lomond by Catriona Malan
- Extract from a story about Christmas in Spetses by Mary Irvine
- Driving to Mass by Micheal Norton
- Frohe Weihnachten – a Christmas Poem by Brian Whittingham
- Fiona Alderman: A Peaceful Christmas Greeting from Rural France
- The Angel Beds by Michael Crossan
- Café Noir by James Carson
- Twelve Days of Christmas – Leela Soma